Dynamic 2D Video Game Character Animation With Free Tools
Design and animate characters for your game with Inkscape and DragonBones today!
Updated on Oct, 2023
Language - English
Duration -3 hours
In this course you will learn how to combine two amazing free programs to create smooth and flexible 2D game character animations!
Inkscape is a free and open-source Vector Illustration software.
With it you can create versatile, ready to use character designs in no time!
Draw anything, export in any size - Perfect for 2D game design!
There are several great courses published about Inkscape, but in this one you can learn how to create a character and make it ready to animate!
DragonBones is a free 2D Skeletal Animation program.
Import your character parts, create the bone system and animate! It is really this easy!
The standalone version just came out at the end of 2016, so this is the first full and comprehensive English course about DragonBones! There are only a very few DragonBones tutorial online, if you want to learn the software, this is a good place to start!
During this game animation course you will
- design a simple knight character in Inkscape (feel free to design your very own character using the same method!)
- export the character properly to be used with DragonBones
- assemble the character and build up the skeletal structure
- create and use meshes to animate soft bodies, like cape and hair
- create four basic animations for the same character: idle, walk, attack, die (more will be added later!)
- easily modify your character to a totally new version, while keeping all the animations!
The course is mostly about DragonBones, so you will need some basic Inkscape knowledge to follow the design part at the start!
Follow the course and ask me anything as you develop your animations!
Who this course is for:
- This course is made for 2D game developers, indy developers or hobby game creators.
- This course is for character designers who want to learn to animate their creatures!
- The course is built for developers who want to create easy game prototypes with animation for free!
- This course is NOT for you if you are looking for 3D animation! Both programs are great for 2D design and animation but not 3D!
- This course is about game character animation, NOT about animating a full scene or animated movie!
What will you learn in this course:
You will be able to design, rig and animate your own 2D game character with free programs!
You will have a basic character animation knowledge!
You will be able to recreate my workflow and design and animate your own characters!
You will create simple animations, that are ready to be used with ANY 2D game engine!
What are the prerequisites for this course?
Download the two free softwares we use in the course: Inkscape and Dragonbones
The course is mainly about animation, have a very basic Inkscape knowledge to start the course!
Optional: Have a character idea ready! You can use my character too, but you will learn more and have more fun designing and animating your very own creation!
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 01:45 01:45
- Before you start 01:37 01:37
Design your character in Inkscape
Prepare for animation!
Animate your character in DragonBones!
Exporting animation and modular characters
I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and design teacher for more than 10 years. I create clever logos and cute illustrations, I like to inspire, share my knowledge and make people think and laugh!
I use Inkscape, an open source graphic design program in most of my design, and I was teaching this to my students too in a college in Budapest.
Exploring new ways to create and sharing my knowledge is what I like the most - so don't be afraid to ask, I'm here to teach!.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now