Copywriting for Beginners Part 1 of 3: Seven Vital Questions
Discover the seven questions you must ask before you can begin copywriting
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
The hardest thing about copywriting isn't knowing HOW to write. It's knowing WHAT to write. Your challenge as a copywriter isn't your ability to write compelling copy. It's your ability to discover insights into what you are selling and who you are selling to. The best copywriters are the ones who ask the best questions.
Why take this course
This course answers the two biggest questions that beginning copywriters have. Number one, what is copywriting, exactly? And number two, how do I discover what I should write about?
At the end of this course, you will know what is expected of you as a copywriter. And you'll know the questions you need to ask before you start any copywriting assignment.
This course is divided into two sections. Section one defines copywriting, describes the major types of copywriting, and discusses specialized types of copywriting. It then introduces you to the two main audiences who will read your copy, and describes the types of writing that some people mistake for copywriting. Section one ends with a handy glossary of common copywriting and marketing terms that you need to know before you offer your services as a copywriter.
Section two goes into great detail about the seven questions you must ask before you can write great copy. We'll cover what you are selling, where you are selling, who you are selling to, why they should buy, who your competition is, the most important thing to say in your copy, and what you want prospects to do after reading your copy. Section two ends with a lesson on how to research a product or a service so that you can sell it with effective copy.
This course is filled with practical, step-by-step advice, tools, tips and tricks that I've learned over the years as a professional copywriter. I use dozens of examples from the real world of copywriting to help you understand what copywriting is, and how to get started on any copywriting assignment.
I designed this course for writers who want to write compelling advertising copy, but don't know where to start. If the thought of having to write one thousand words of promotional copy each day before lunch time fills you with dread, then this course is for you.
Learn more about the course by reviewing the course description and course outline below. Watch the free preview lessons. Read the reviews from my satisfied students. Then enroll today.
Who this course is for:
- Aspiring copywriters, with zero experience at the craft, who want to learn a step-by-step method, taught by a veteran copywriter, for writing effective copy.
What will you learn in this course:
- Define what copywriting is
- Describe the five main channels for copywriting
- Explain the types of copywriting that require specialized skill
- Understand the two main audiences for copywriting, and how they differ
- Describe what copywriting is not
- Understand the terms, jargon and buzzwords that every new copywriter must know
- Discover what you are selling
- Learn where you are selling (channel) and when (in the sales cycle)
- Uncover vital facts and insights into your target audience
- Discover why people buy (and don't buy) what you are promoting, so you can use this information to your advantage
- Understand the five types of competition you must overcome with your copy
- Focus your copy on one unique selling proposition
- Research any product or service to uncover its unique selling features and benefits
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Fluency in reading and writing English
- Ability to use a computer
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Copywriting Defined: Part 1 02:56 02:56
- Copywriting Defined: Part 2 03:03 03:03
- Types of Copywriting 03:04 03:04
- Specialized Copywriting 05:42 05:42
- Your Two Audiences for Copywriting 02:47 02:47
- What kinds of promotional writing are not copywriting? 03:45 03:45
Start with a Creative Brief
Alan SharpeVeteran direct response copywriter
Are you reading my bio because you want to improve your copywriting? Bonus. That makes two of us.
Are you looking for a copywriting coach who has written for Fortune 500 accounts (Apple, IBM, Hilton Hotels, Bell)? Check.
Do you want your copywriting instructor to have experience writing in multiple channels (print, online, direct mail, radio, television, outdoor, packaging, branding)? Groovy.
If you had your way, would your copy coach also be a guy who has allergic reactions to exclamation marks, who thinks honesty in advertising is not an oxymoron, and who believes the most important person in this paragraph is you?
Take my courses.
I'm Alan Sharpe. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm a 27-year veteran copywriter who has been teaching people how to write persuasively since 1989.
Through my conference workshops, copywriting classes, telephone seminars, webinars, trade journal articles, newsletters, blog posts, and in my many books, I have helped thousands of copywriters on four continents master the craft of persuading on paper and in pixels.
I taught myself the craft of advertising copywriting, and worked as a freelance copywriter as well as a senior copywriter for two advertising agencies. I sold everything from pump parts to utility trailers to digital video transmission systems and insurance services, working in every media. I even helped a client use direct mail to sell a coffee table book about Elvis Presley. Don't ask.
After working for a decade as a copywriter, I narrowed my focus to two specialties: writing direct mail letters for businesses, and fundraising letters for non-profits.
Now I'd like to help you write copy that gets noticed, gets read, and gets results. Let's get started.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now