Business Law - Consumer Protection Act
The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 protects the interests of consumers in the market. This act contains the following definitions −
Definition 1 − "Appropriate laboratory" refers to a laboratory or organization which is
Recognized by the Central Government;
Recognized by a State Government,
Any laboratory or organization established under any law for the time being in force, which is maintained and financed or aided by the Central Government or a State Government for carrying out analysis or test of any goods for defects.
Definition 2 − “Complainant” refers to
- A consumer
- Any voluntary consumer association registered under the Companies Act, 1956
- The Central Government or any State Government
- Consumers having the same interest
Definition 3 − "Complaint" refers to any allegation in writing made by a complainant of
- An unfair or restrictive trade practice
- The goods bought suffering from defects
- The services hired having deficiencies
- Goods sold by a trader being in excess price
- Goods hazardous to life and safety being sold by any trader
Definition 4 − “Consumer” refers to a person who
- Buys any goods
- Hires any service
Definition 5 − “Consumer dispute” refers to a dispute where a consumer make a complaint against a person and the person denies the allegations contained in the complaint.
- "Defect" refers to any fault in the quality or quantity of any goods.
- "Deficiency" refers to fault in the quality or quantity of any services.
- "District Forum" refers to a Consumer Dispute Redressed Forum.
- "Goods" refers to goods as defined in the Sale of Goods Act, 1930.
- "Manufacturer" refers to a person who
Makes and manufactures goods and parts
Assembles goods made by other manufactures and claims the end product to be manufactured by him.
Puts his trademark on commodities manufactured by other manufacturers and claims the commodities to be manufactured by him.
- "National Commission" refers to the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
- "Notification" refers to a notification published in the Official Gazette.
- "Prescribed" refers to prescribed rules made by the State Government or the Central government.
- "Service" refers to service of any description, which is made available to potential users.
- "State Commission" refers to a Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission established in a State.
- "Trader" refers to a person who sells or distributes any goods for sale, including the manufacturer.