Automotive Design - Level 2
The Next Level of Professional Techniques, Tips, Tricks and Secrets for the Aspiring Car Designer
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
If you're dreaming of creating the exterior and interior designs for the cars of the future, than Automotive Design - Level 2 is what you are looking for. This course provides the student with the next level in creating professional car design drawings and an understanding of how to apply the concepts of light and shadow and reflections to automotive design drawings. Automotive design is one of the most competitive and difficult creative fields. Any chance you can give yourself to increase your opportunity to be successful should be taken. This course is the continuation of that chance.
The lectures cover the following:
How to create front and rear end views in 2 quick and easy ways
How to create a tip-up, 1pt. perspective view of your automotive designs
An introduction to automotive interior design
An overview of the concepts of light and shadow and how they relate to automotive design drawings
An overview of the 2 types of reflective surfaces and how to create them
These lessons are the same coursework that is taught at major design colleges and universities around the world. This course gives you head start or will help you improve your skills for a fraction of the price. It's taught by an professional, award-winning product and automotive designer.
What will you learn in this course:
- You'll learn a professional methods of drawing front end and rear end views so you can generate a lot of design ideas very quickly
- You'll learn the process of drawing an exterior tip-up view to take your side views to the next level
- You'll learn how to layout an automotive interior design drawing and why it's important to do interiors too
- You'll gain a professional understanding of how light and shadow work in relation to automotive design and drawing
- You'll gain a professional understanding of the 2 types of reflection patterns and how to use them
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- The "Introduction to Automotive Design" course
- A burning passion for cars
- A burning passion for design
- A burning passion to improve your skills
- The ability to work very hard toward achieving your goals
- Basic art supplies: something to draw with and something to draw on
- Minimum materials: 18 x 24 smooth newsprint pad, tracing paper, soft lead colored pencils, ruler or T-square, tissue and kneaded eraser, white Nupastel chalk
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Section 1 - Automotive Design Level 2
- Course Trailer 01:30 01:30
- Coming and Going: Secrets to Creating Front and Rear End Views 07:12 07:12
- A View From the Top: Secrets to Drawing Great Tip Up Views 07:13 07:13
- Toward the Within: An Introduction to Automotive Interior Design 05:49 05:49
- In a Brilliant Light: Understanding Light and Shadow 07:02 07:02
- Shine Like it Does: Understanding Reflections on Automotive Surfaces 07:21 07:21
Professional, Award Winning Automotive and Product Designer, Entrepreneur
Born in New York City USA, Mr. Santoro attended the High School of Art & Design where he was a member of the first ever, industrial design high school program in the United States. After graduating from Pratt Institute with a bachelor degree in Industrial Design, Mr. Santoro was accepted as the first ever, post-graduate design intern at Chrysler Corporation where, upon completion, he received an offer to join the staff.
Mr. Santoro spent 6 years as an automotive designer at Chrysler where he created the ground breaking, cab-forward exterior design for the 1995 Car of the Year, the first generation Chrysler Cirrus and it's sister vehicle, the Dodge Stratus. Before leaving Chrysler, Mr. Santoro penned the 1996-2006 Jeep Wrangler, returning the vehicle visually to its iconic roots while pushing it forward into the new century.
Returning to New York City, Mr. Santoro spent two years as a consulting designer for Walter Dorwin Teague, America's oldest design consultancy. There he worked on numerous programs including creating conceptual design interiors for Boeing Aerospace and the production interior for the Gulfstream G5 aircraft.
Mr. Santoro retuned to automotive design work as a consultant working on the Vector M12 production supercar and Vector M12 "American Anthem" North American International Auto Show show car. Additional projects including the Lamborghini Jota show car followed.
In 1999, Mr. Santoro created the Apple-specific case market with the launch of his company, MacCase.
Mr. Santoro has been featured in several articles for his design innovations at Chrysler including “Passage by Design” (AutoWeek, January 9, 1995), “The Designers Who Saved Chrysler” (The New York Times, January 30, 1994) and his work at MacCase, “Flexible Pens (Car & Drvier, September 2013), "Former Car Designer Took Apple Accessories to a New Level" ( Detroit Free Press, September 26th 2020). Additional articles about Mr. Santoro and his work have appeared in Automobile, Road & Track, Authority Magazine, Motor Authority, Power Nation, Adventure Journal, Motor Trend and Car Styling.
He has been a part of student design reviews at College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan and Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California as well taught Transportation Design at Pratt Institute in New York City. In 2016, Mr. Santoro returned to teaching through social medium, on-line teaching platforms and private tutoring. His students are being accepted at the world's top automotive design schools including NID in India, IAAD in Turin Italy, Art Center College of Design and College for Creative Studies in the United States.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now