- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Write a note on how forests influence the quality of our air, soil and water resources.
Deforestation is the destruction of trees and forests for agriculture, human habitation, urbanization, mining, and industrial purposes, leading to devastating effects on the environment.
Trees and plants absorb water from the earth through their roots. This absorbed water goes back into the atmosphere through transpiration from leaves. Water vapor is the main cause of rain.
During deforestation, less water will evaporate into the atmosphere and thus can cause reduced rainfall.
Forests improve the quality of air, soil, and water resources through the following means:
(i) Air: Forests consist of trees that purify the atmosphere by absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen during the process of photosynthesis. Trees also help in maintaining the temperature of the environment through transpiration. As plants absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, they help in controlling the greenhouse effect and, thereby, global warming.
(ii) Soil: Trees and plants growing in the forest withhold the soil, therefore preventing soil erosion. Plants, along with decomposers, help in maintaining the nutrient cycle by adding nutrients to the soil.
(iii) Water: The forest is responsible for increasing the moisture content in the air and it also helps in bringing the rain. Plants play an important role in maintaining the underground water level, thereby maintaining the water cycle into the atmosphere.
- Do our clothes influence our mood?
- Does our past influence our dreams?
- Why do our eyes water when we cut onions?
- What is an Air Fryer and how to use an Air Fryer?
- Differences between Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Big Boss Tamil 2: Kamal Hassan opens the show on a high note
- How will you keep the locks on the resources even after a ROLLBACK?
- Podcasts your video with google hangouts on air
- What is Accepted Quality Level (AQL)? Types of AQL Defects and Levels of Quality
- How did Philosophy influence revolution?
- Why do we get a mail first on our smartphone and then on a desktop?
- How long does our past affect our habits and beliefs?
- Water on Mars. Is Life next?
- Tough to manage quality focus on planning
- What are Random Forests?
- How to purify water at home without a water purifying machine?