- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Parity Bit?
Parity Bit is the simplest and frequently used method for detecting an error. In this method, we have to join a parity bit to the end of the data structure. The bit is so chosen that the weight of codeword is either even or odd of, i.e. V is the cost of this bit is chosen therefore that the character has an even number of 1's called even parity or an odd number of 1's known as odd parity.
For Example, If the transmitter is transmitting 1110001 and using odd parity. It will
append 1 in sorting. The receiver determines the received character. Suppose the total number of 1's is odd. It considers that no error has appeared, and if one bit (any odd number of bits) is poorly inverted during communication, e.g. 11100001, the receiver will disclose an error.
There are two techniques used in Parity Bit are as follows −
Simple Parity check
The structure of data from the source is inflicted to a check bit or parity bit generator structure, where parity of −
1 is inserted to the block if it includes an odd number of 1's, and
0 is added if it has an even number of 1's
This scheme creates a total number of 1's, even known as even parity checking.
Two-dimensional Parity check
Parity check bits are evaluated for each row, similar to a simple parity check bit. It is also calculated for all columns, and then both are transmitted along with the data. At the receiving end, these are distinguished with the parity bits evaluated on the received information.
- What is a Parity Bit?
- 8085 program to add even parity to a string of 7 bit ASCII characters.
- What is bit stuffing in computer networks?
- What is three-bit sliding window protocol?
- What is Bit Map protocol in computer networks?
- Error-Detecting Codes - Parity
- What is Least significant bit algorithm in Information Security?
- Parity Check of a Number
- Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC)
- What is the difference between BIT and TINYINT in MySQL?
- What is the smallest datatype for one bit in MySQL?
- In MySQL, what is Bit-field notation and how it can be used to write bit-field value?
- Sort Array By Parity in Python
- Program to find parity in C++