- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the differences between thunderbolt 2 and thunderbolt 3?
19 Lectures 4.5 hours
Let us understand the concepts of Thunderbolt 2 and 3 respectively.
Thunderbolt 2 connector is a Mini DisplayPort connector developed by Apple. It allows a maximum throughput of 20 gigabits per second, whereas the original Thunderbolt port can deliver up to a maximum of 10 Gbps. It achieves over the USB 3.0 technology that has a maximum speed of only 5 Gbps.
Given below is the image of thunderbolt 2 −
It is the latest and the fastest version of the Thunderbolt provides a maximum throughput of 40 gigabits per second. It was introduced in 2015, by Intel’s. It proves to be a potential gamechanger. Unlike Thunderbolt 2, the Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB Type-C connector and is backward compatible with USB 3.1.
Given below is the image of thunderbolt 3 −
The major differences between thunderbolt 2 and thunderbolt 3 are as follows −
|Thunderbolt 2||Thunderbolt 3|
|Thunderbolt 2 was created in the year 2013.||Thunderbolt 3 was created in the year 2015.|
|It uses MDP (Mini DisplayPort) connector||It uses a USB-C connector.|
|It supports a bit rate of 20 Gbps.||It supports a bit rate of 40 Gbps.|
|It uses protocol 4 x PCI express 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2.||It uses protocol 4 x PCI express 3.0, DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI-2 and USB 3.1 Gen-2.|
|It provides two bi-directional 10 Gbps channels.||It provides two bi-directional 20 Gbps channels.|
|It is not backward compatible with USB-C.||It is backward compatible with USB-C.|
|It is slower when compared to thunderbolt 3.||It is faster when compared to thunderbolt 2.|
|It provides less power when compared to thunderbolt 3.||It provides more power up to 100 W when compared to thunderbolt 2.|
|Given below is a sample image of Thunderbolt 2:||Given below is a sample image of Thunderbolt 3:|
- What are the differences between Thunderbolt and USB-C?
- What are the differences in between python 2.x and python 3.x versions?
- Differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x?
- What are the key differences between Python 2.7.x and Python 3.x?
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- What is difference between selenium 2 and selenium 3?
- What are the differences between holography and photography?
- What are the differences between C++ and Java?
- What are the differences between C and Java?
- What are the differences between lodash and underscore?
- What are the differences between IPO and FPO?
- What are the differences between solvency and liquidity?
- What are the differences between Flutter and Xamarin?
- What are the differences between BorgBase and RapidShare?
- What are the differences between BorgBase and ZumoDrive?