- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Storage Testing Tutorial (What is, Type, Concepts)
26 Lectures 1.5 hours
20 Lectures 2.5 hours
Storage testing is a sub-category of software testing, in which we check whether the software or the AUT (application under testing) can store the relevant data in proper directories and if it has enough space to avoid unexpected stoppage or termination because of insufficient disk space. Storage testing is also referred to as Storage Performance Testing. Usually, storage testing is performed to check whether the software stores and reads data files in the correct directories.
Objectives of Storage Testing
The objectives of performing storage testing are −
To find out the storage limitation of the software before it is deployed to the production environment.
To evaluate the behaviour of the system upon replacing a hardware device with a new one or upgrading any existing device.
To reduce the response time of the system.
To speed up data processing.
Types of Storage Testing
Application Testing − In this type of testing, the software or application is tested with sample queries or test cases in a production-like environment.
Application Simulation − In this type of testing, the software or application is tested using standard software which is similar to the target application or software.
Benchmarking − In this type of testing, the software or application is tested using a standard software.
Common concepts involved in Storage Testing
|Type of Storage Testing||Example of storage testing activity|
Process of Storage Testing
Estimating disk space − In this preliminary stage, the testing team determines the total disk space.
Estimating available space − Now, the testing team determines the total occupied and total available space.
Creating test cases − After determining the available memory space, the testing team designs the test cases as per the end-users’ requirements. Test cases are created as per the different functionalities of the software.
Executing test cases − The main step after determining available disk space and designing test cases, is to execute or run the test cases. The test cases designed in the previous phase are tested in this current phase.
Analysing disk space − Now, the testing team analyses and estimates the total disk space used during the entire testing process. The analysis is based on what was the determined space and how much space was used in reality.
Common mistakes made during Storage Testing
Sometimes the testing team may monitor the wrong server.
They may start estimating and comparing the storage devices without clearing the cache stored on the server.
They may forget to monitor processor usage.
They may test storage performance using file copying instructions.
- What is Storage Testing Tutorial with Type & Concepts?
- Manual Testing Tutorial for Beginners (Concepts, Types, Tool)
- Unit Testing Tutorial for Beginners (Concepts, Types, Tools)
- What is Cloud Testing? SaaS Testing Tutorial
- Penetration Testing Tutorial: What is PenTest?
- Backend Testing Tutorial (What is, Tools, Examples)
- What is SOA Testing? Tutorial with Example
- Penetration Testing Tutorial – What is Pen Test?
- Reliability Testing Tutorial (What is, Methods, Tools, Example)
- Application Testing Tutorial (What is, How to, Tools)
- End-to-End Testing Tutorial: What is E2E Testing with Example
- Fuzz Testing (Fuzzing) Tutorial (What is, Types, Tools, Example)
- IoT Testing Tutorial (What is, Process, Challenges & Tools)
- Model-Based Testing Tutorial
- Mainframe Testing Tutorial for Beginners