Relational Database Design Essentials
Professionally designed database has many advantages & its important. Oracle SQL Data modeler is one such tool which is effectively used for Data modeling and Database Design
Updated on Feb, 2024
Language - English
Duration -2.5 hours
Modern database and applications development software is so easy to use that many people can quickly learn to implement a simple database and develop simple applications within a week or so, without giving design much thought. As data volume grows and when users request addition functionality, they might incorrectly add columns in table since appropriate database design is not available. This not only causes data redundancy in database but also can cause performance issue to application and database as well. Ultimately, due to poor database design, the business would be the loser.
A good database design not only avoids data redundancy but also improves database performance over period of time as the database volume grows and when business changes are requested , it would be far more easier to understand as where to make the appropriate changes in the Database. The data modelling and database design is like a building blue print and ultimately it would make application users happy and business would benefit.
This course uses the Oracle SQL Data modeler extensively to discuss and demonstrate Database modelling and Database design.
Oracle SQL Data modeler is a tool, which make learning Data modelling and Database design much easier and also provides you with a professional approach design database for business application effectively to plan, develop, implement and maintain them on an ongoing process.
In this course you would learn:
- Develop a Data Flow Diagram by identifying processes, external agents, information stores and information flows that show how the information flows Business flow Diagram
- Create an Entity Relationship Diagram by identifying entities, attributes, relationships.
- Normalize the Entity Relationship Diagram to third Normal form
- Validate Logical and Relational Model through Design rules
- Engineer the Entity Relationship Model into an relational database design
- Complete the Physical Model and generate the DDL scripts
Finally, at the end of the course, you would understand the importance of data modelling and database design.
What will you learn in this course:
- Process Models - Understand and develop business process models( data flow diagrams) through Oracle SQL modeler.
- Logical Models - Easily understand and create Entity relationship Diagram through Oracle SQL Modeler
- Relationship - One to Many, Many to Many, Recursive relationship
- Database Normalization with Examples - 1st, 2nd and 3rd form of Normalization
- Use Oracle SQL data modeler to effective creative Process models, Logical data models and Relational data model
- How to Use SQL data modeler tool to engineer Relational Data model and auto generate DDL scripts
- Work with design rules that can be applied to check and enforce the integrity
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Basic understanding of about relational database and its objects like tables, views etc
- Oracle SQL Data Modeler - The course provides details as how to use the tool
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Introduction about the course
- Introduction 04:55 04:55
- Course Overview 04:19 04:19
Oracle SQL Data Modeler
Data Modeling and Data Base Design
Process Model - Data Flow diagram using Oracle SQL Modeler
Logical Model - ERD using Oracle SQL Modeler
Relational Database - Normalization Process
Logical to Relational Model with DDL scripts using Oracle SQL modeler
Other Important features of SQL modeler
GUHARAJANMCEO, Capstone Solutions, Trainer
He is having over 25 + years of IT industry experience (Product development, Consulting & Training).
Althrough his career he has worked on assignments with fortune 500 companies across the globe. His last engagement was with Oracle India (initially with Oracle consulting and then with Oracle University) , which was for more than 12 years. Prior to this, had worked with Cap Gemini (formerly iGate Global Solution), GE to name a few.
Had managed projects and programs in Enterprise Resource Planning and Business Intelligence implementations in the range of 3000 man days with revenue about 6mil US$ per year. These projects are on industry domains, such as Oil and Gas, Process Manufacturing, Hi-Tech Retail & Telecom across the globe.
Was awarded with "pace setter" , "best managed " project awards in recognition of efforts in project management.
Was also instrumental in design, development and roll-out of Graduate Hire program on Oracle Products & cloud stack for partner IT services companies in recent times.
Right from college was fascinated about devices and sensor interaction with computer, which made him focus on micro-controller in early 90's and that eventually attracted him towards field of Internet of things and Machine learning, AI these days.
Due to his vast experience, he has crafted varied unique courses related project management, Internet of things, database modeling and design. Has plans to create more, as his passion has been on knowledge acquisition and sharing which he has acquired over 2 decades.
He holds a Bachelor's degree in engineering (Computer science) with MBA and a certified PMP since 2007
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now