- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is water harvesting? List two main advantages associated with water harvesting at the community level. Write two causes for the failure of sustained availability of groundwater.
Rainwater harvesting is the method of collection and preservation of clean rainwater directly from the roof and transferring it to the underground constructed tanks that be pumped out for future use.
Rainwater harvesting is a very crucial method for the preservation of clean water as due to the growing demand for clean water, scarcity had increased and resulted in the depletion of groundwater. This method is simple, cost-effective and eco-friendly in nature.
The various advantages of water stored under the ground are:
(i) Groundwater does not evaporate like open water bodies such as river and lake.
(ii) Groundwater also helps in recharging wells by increasing their water level.
(iii) It also provides moisture for the vegetation over a vast area as roots can absorb the groundwater and provide to growing crop.
(iv) As groundwater is well protected beneath the ground, it is protected from contamination by animals, human wastes and also prevents the breeding of insects.
Causes for the failure of sustained availability of groundwater:
The groundwater is decreasing due to its over usage from the ground level for industrial use.
Also, due to the construction of concrete roads, the water doesn't seep into the ground, causing early depletion of groundwater.
- Related Articles
- List two advantages associated with water harvesting at the community level.
- What is Rain Water Harvesting?
- (a) What is meant by rainwater harvesting? Name some of the ancient structures used for rainwater harvesting by the rural people.(b) What are the various advantages of water stored in the ground?
- What is the main purpose of rainwater harvesting?
- What is rainwater harvesting? Describe the method of rainwater harvesting.
- What is rainwater harvesting? What is the need of rainwater harvesting? Mention any four rainwater harvesting structures.
- What is meant by water harvesting ? How is it done?
- “Catch water where it falls” is the basic idea behind(a) recycling of water(b) making dams to store water(c) rainwater harvesting(d) condensation of water vapour
- Which of the following is not an ancient water harvesting structure?(a) kattas (b) sargam (c) kulhs (d) surangams
- Water cycle does not involve which of the following?EvaporationCondensationFormation of cloudsRainwater harvesting
- Mention two main functions of water for living organisms.
- How water harvesting is useful in today's scenario?
- The Bishnoi community of Rajasthan is associated with the conservation of:(a) coal and petroleum (b) forests and wildlife (c) water resources (d) abiotic environment
- What is groundwater? What are the sources of water which are fed by groundwater?
- From a point \( P \), two tangents \( P A \) and \( P B \) are drawn to a circle with centre \( O \). If \( O P= \) diameter of the circle, show that \( \Delta A P B \) is equilateral.