Mehrangarh Fort - Overview
Maharaja Rao Jodha built the Mehrangarh Fort in 1460AD. The fort is considered as one of the biggest forts in India. One of its gate has the marks of the attack of cannons during the war with the army of Jaipur. The fort has many palaces, courtyards, temples, and other structures built by various Rajput rulers. Maharaja Man Singh built seven gates to remember the victory over the armies of Jaipur and Bikaner.
Jodhpur is one of the largest cities of India and second largest of Rajasthan. Jodhpur is a historical city having many palaces, temples, forts, etc. Another name of the city is Surya Nagri or Sun City. The name is given due to bright and sunny weather throughout the year. Blue City is another title given to Jodhpur as many houses of the city are in blue color.
Mehrangarh Fort is opened for the public from 9am to 5pm. The fort is also opened on government holidays. It takes around one to three hours to visit the whole fort due to the presence of many structures inside it.
Tourists have to pay an entry fee in order to visit the fort. For Indians, the cost of the ticket is Rs. 60 while for foreigners it is Rs. 400. Photography and video recording is also allowed and the tourists have to pay Rs. 100 for carrying still camera and Rs. 400 for video camera. The day of 12th May is celebrated as Jodhpur Foundation Day and entry in the fort is free on this day.
Best Time to Visit
Best time to visit Jodhpur is from October to March as the weather is pleasant. During the period of April to June, the weather of the city is hot and dry while during the period of July to September, the weather becomes hot and humid. There is low to moderate rainfall in the city.
Where to Stay?
There are more than 500 hotels where the people can stay. The hotels range from inexpensive budget hotels to expensive five-star hotels. Some of these hotels are as follows −
- WelCom Hotel ITC Group located at Khiyansaria
- The Ummed located at Banar Road
- Indana Palace located at Airport Road
- Vivanta by Taj (It is a Taj Hotel) located at Residency Road
- Umaid Bhavan Palace (It is a Taj hotel) located at Palace Road
- The Fern Residency located at Ratananda
- Mapple Abhay located at Paota Circle
- Park Plaza located at Jhalamand
- Mango Hotel located at Ratananda
- The Thar Oasis Resorts and Camps located at Dechu
- Ranabanka Palace located at Circuit House Road
- Hotel Suncity International located at Panch Batti Circle
- Chandra Inn located at Ratananda
- The Marwar Hotels and Gardens located at Ratananda
- Hotel Shri Ram Residency located at Residency Road
Budget Hotels or Two-Star Hotels
- Hotel Lariya Resorts located at Chopasani
- Hotel Ratnawali located at Nai Sarak
- Chhotaram Prajapat Homestay located at Salawas
- Gouri Heritage located at Nai Sarak
- Shivam Guest House located at Makrana Mohalla
Cheap hotels or One-Star Hotel
- Kurja Resort located at Station Road
- Shyam Palace Guest House located at Umaid Chowk
- Hotel Raman Palace located at Ratananda
- Kesar Heritage Guest House located at Khilikhana
- Hotel Karni Bhavan located at Ratananda