Mastering Data Modeling in Power BI
Learn Data Modeling in Power BI with mastering in all the concepts
Updated on Feb, 2024
Language - English
Duration -1 hours
If you are a current or aspiring Data professional in search of sound, practical techniques to analyze and model data as part of the data modeling for data analysis or data visualization or data database/DWH design, this is the course for you.
In this course, you’ll from basic concepts of data modeling to doing data modeling in Power BI using AdventureWorks DW. Not only that, you'll also get quiz, .pbix file, questions, resource material as well as PDF of the video course.
I have used my own experience in the data field to design this course. I have kept this course very precise, and to the point so that within an hour you can grasp all the necessary knowledge. I am sure after completing this course, your concepts regarding data modeling would be clear, and you can start designing your very first data model or can improve the existing one.
In this course, I take you from the fundamentals and concepts of data modeling all the way and techniques that you’ll need to build data models in your organization. You’ll find lab/workshop that clearly demonstrate the key concepts and techniques covered throughout the course. By the end of the course, you’ll be all set to not only put these principles to work, but also to make the key data modeling and design decisions required by the “art” of data modeling that transcend the nuts-and-bolts techniques and design patterns.
Specifically, this course will cover:
Part 1: Data Modelling Overview
- V2: Introduction to Data Modelling: What is Data Modelling? Why Data Modelling?
- What is a data model? What are different Data Modelling Techniques?
- Data Modelling Techniques
- Why use a data model?
- Types of Data Models & their Characteristics
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a data model
Part 2: Fact Vs Dimensions
- Primary Vs Foreign Key
- What is a fact table
- What is a dimension table
- Key differences between Facts & Dimensions
- Types of Facts & Dimensions
Part 3: Relationships in a Data Model
- What is a relationship in a db?
- types of relationships
- How to prevent duplication?
Part 4: Start Schema Vs Snowflake Schema
- What is a DB Schema?
- What is multidimensional schema
- Types of DWH schema
- Star Schema & its characteristics
- Snowflake Schema & its characteristics
- Difference between Start & Snowflake schemas
- Galaxy Schema & it's characteristics
Part 5: Design a data model in Power BI
- Lab - 20 Mints
- Resource Material
- Questions Answers file
Data modeling is both an art and a science. While we have developed a large body of best practices over the years, we still have to make this-or-that types of decisions throughout our data modeling work, often based on deep experience rather than specific rules. That’s what I’ve instilled into this course: the fusion of data modeling art and science that you can bring to your organization and your own work. So come join me on this journey through the world of data modeling!
Who this course is for:
- business analyst, data engineer, or database designer, currently with little or no exposure to or experience with data modeling, who desires to build a personal toolbox of data modeling best practices and techniques.
- After completing this course, you will be ready to begin working on real-world data modeling projects, either with expanded responsibilities as part of an existing role or to find a new position involving data modeling. Example positions include database designer, conceptual data modeler, database engineer, and business analyst with an emphasis on data requirements.
- Specially, if you are working on Power BI, then this would be a milestone towards your career journey.
What will you learn in this course:
- What is Data Modeling? Why do we need it?
- What is a schema? What are different kinds of Schemas in a Data Model?
- What are Facts & Dimensions?
- What are different kinds of relationships in a data model? How to manage them?
- How to do data modeling in Power BI?
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Students only need a basic understanding of data management concepts and constructs such as relational database tables and how different pieces of data logically relate to one another. The course content builds on these rudimentary ideas; no other prerequisites are needed.
- Basic understanding of Power BI
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Data Modelling Overview
- What is Data Modelling? Why Data Modelling? 01:47 01:47
- What is a data model? What are different Data Modeling Techniques? 02:40 02:40
- Why use a data model? 02:36 02:36
- Types of Data Models & their Characteristics 06:26 06:26
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a data model 03:30 03:30
Fact Vs Dimension
Relationships in a Data Model
Start Schema Vs Snowflake Schema
Lab: Data Modeling in Power BI
BI Consulting ProInsights | Analytics | Visualization
BI Consulting Pro is an educational channel, created to help data lovers around the globe. We help to analyze, and visualize the data using MS Power Platform, and MS Azure. Here, we help people to learn about data visualization, data extraction, and storytelling using data. As someone said" A picture is worth a thousand words", so data visualization is an important part of any business. If you are looking to learn Data Visualization using Power BI then subscribe to our channel and connect with us.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now