- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Karnataka Government had launched 'Project Elephant' to save Asian elephants in the state. Find out about this and other such campaigns launched to protect threatened species.
Project Elephant was initiated by the Government of Karnataka in 1992 with the objective of ensuring the long-term survival of elephant tribes in their natural habitats.
Objectives of Project Elephant are:
- Providing financial and technical support to the state wildlife management team to conserve wild Asian Elephants.
- Conservation of elephants, their habitats, and migration corridors.
- Support ecological research and management of elephants.
- Spreading awareness upon conservation of elephants among local tribes.
- Improve veterinary care for captive elephants.
Project Elephant is mainly implemented in 16 States / UTs, which includes Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Jharkhand, Kerala, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Orissa, Uttaranchal, West Bengal, Maharashtra, and Chhattisgarh.
The project is also aimed to
- Ensure the protection of elephants from hunters and poachers, to prevent the illegal trade of ivory.
- Develop and promote management strategies for the conservation of elephants.
- Mitigate and prevent the rising conflict between humans and elephants in elephant habitats.
- Ensure ecological restoration of the natural elephant habitats and their migratory routes.
- Ensure the proper health care, and breeding of domesticated elephants, and facilitate veterinary care for the elephants.
Elephant corridors in India are the narrow strips of forested lands linking larger elephant habitats with elephant populations. It provides the movement of elephants between the elephant habitat and plays an important role to enhance species survival and the birth rate of the elephant population in the wild.
In total, there are 88 elephant corridors in India, out of which 20 are in South India, 12 in North-Western India, 14 in North-West Bengal, 20 in Central India, and 22 in North-Eastern India.
About 77.3% of these corridors are in regular use. One-third of these corridors are of high ecological priority and the other two-thirds are of medium priority.
- What do you know about the train with no engine India just launched?
- Get PID of Browser launched by Selenium.
- When will 5G services be launched in India?
- How to save an Android Activity state using save instance state?
- What are the Few Pitfalls of the newly launched Apple’s iOS 10?
- At the union level the prime minister heads the government; at the state level, the chief ministers head the government; who heads the government at the district level?
- Always thinking about making money is destructing my valuable and peacefull life, how to get out of this mindset?
- How to Group Ads to Boost Your Digital Campaigns
- What are the best tourist place in Karnataka?
- Is this true that a man had Biryani Thrice A Day for 2 Whole Months and managed to lose weight?
- How to display a specific field in array using $project in MongoDB and ignore other fields?
- Program to find next state of next cell matrix state in Python?
- How to find package explorer in Java eclipse project?
- C++ Program to find rounded numbers to save kingdom
- C++ program to find out number of changes required to get from one end to other end in a grid