Splunk 7 Essentials - Third Edition
Demystify machine data by leveraging datasets, building reports, and sharing powerful insights
About the Book
- Analyze and visualize machine data to step into the world of Splunk!
- Leverage the exceptional analysis and visualization capabilities to make informed decisions for your business
- This easy-to-follow, practical book can be used by anyone - even if you have never managed data before
Splunk is a search, reporting, and analytics software platform for machine data, which has an ever-growing market adoption rate. More organizations than ever are adopting Splunk to make informed decisions in areas such as IT operations, information security, and the Internet of Things.
The first two chapters of the book will get you started with a simple Splunk installation and set up of a sample machine data generator, called Eventgen.
After this, you will learn to create various reports, dashboards, and alerts. You will also explore Splunk's Pivot functionality to model data for business users. You will then have the opportunity to test-drive Splunk's powerful HTTP Event Collector. After covering the core Splunk functionality, you'll be provided with some real-world best practices for using Splunk, and information on how to build upon what you've learned in this book.
Throughout the book, there will be additional comments and best practice recommendations from a member of the SplunkTrust Community, called "Tips from the Fez".
What you will learn
- Install and configure Splunk for personal use
- Store event data in Splunk indexes, classify events into sources, and add data fields
- Learn essential Splunk Search Processing Language commands and best practices
- Create powerful real-time or user-input dashboards
- Be proactive by implementing alerts and scheduled reports
- Tips from the Fez: Best practices using Splunk features and add-ons
- Understand security and deployment considerations for taking Splunk to an organizational level
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now