Learn T-SQL Querying
A guide to developing efficient and elegant T-SQL code
About the Book
Troubleshoot query performance issues, identify anti-patterns in code, and write efficient T-SQL queries
- Discover T-SQL functionalities and services that help you interact with relational databases
- Understand the roles, tasks and responsibilities of a T-SQL developer
- Explore solutions for carrying out database querying tasks, database administration, and troubleshooting
Transact-SQL (T-SQL) is Microsoft's proprietary extension to the SQL language that is used with Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. This book will be a useful guide to learning the art of writing efficient T-SQL code in modern SQL Server versions, as well as the Azure SQL Database.
The book will get you started with query processing fundamentals to help you write powerful, performant T-SQL queries. You will then focus on query execution plans and learn how to leverage them for troubleshooting. In the later chapters, you will learn how to identify various T-SQL patterns and anti-patterns. This will help you analyze execution plans to gain insights into current performance, and determine whether or not a query is scalable. You will also learn to build diagnostic queries using dynamic management views (DMVs) and dynamic management functions (DMFs) to address various challenges in T-SQL execution. Next, you will study how to leverage the built-in tools of SQL Server to shorten the time taken to address query performance and scalability issues. In the concluding chapters, the book will guide you through implementing various features, such as Extended Events, Query Store, and Query Tuning Assistant using hands-on examples.
By the end of this book, you will have the skills to determine query performance bottlenecks, avoid pitfalls, and discover the anti-patterns in use.
Foreword by Conor Cunningham, Partner Architect – SQL Server and Azure SQL – Microsoft
What you will learn
- Use Query Store to understand and easily change query performance
- Recognize and eliminate bottlenecks that lead to slow performance
- Deploy quick fixes and long-term solutions to improve query performance
- Implement best practices to minimize performance risk using T-SQL
- Achieve optimal performance by ensuring careful query and index design
- Use the latest performance optimization features in SQL Server 2017 and SQL Server 2019
- Protect query performance during upgrades to newer versions of SQL Server
Who this book is for
This book is for database administrators, database developers, data analysts, data scientists, and T-SQL practitioners who want to get started with writing T-SQL code and troubleshooting query performance issues, through the help of practical examples. Previous knowledge of T-SQL querying is not required to get started on this book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now