Diu Fort - Architecture
Diu Fort is also known as Portuguese Fort. In Portugal it is called Praça de Diu. Gujarat is in the east while Arabian Sea is in the west. Kolak and Kalai rivers are on north and south respectively. Diu touches the borders of Valsad, Daman, and Junagarh.
Architecture of the Fort
One of the walls of this large fort touches the coastline. The fort is surrounded by sea water on three sides. The guns were put on the bastions built on the inner side of the wall. There is a double moat between outer and inner walls and is made up of sandstone rocks.
There are three gates in the fort out of which the entry gate includes five windows. Opposite to the fort, Panikotha fort is visible. Diu fort also consists of cannons and iron shells used during the Portuguese period. There is a bastion at the entrance gate named St. George. The fort has a large light house at its end. Tourists can view many monuments inside the fort. Some of them are discussed here.
Saint Francis of Assisi Church
Saint Francis of Assisi Church was built in 1593 in front of a plateau. The plateau is located on a hilltop and is built according to the European architecture. The church can be entered through a gate by going up through stairs. The church has now been converted into a hospital.
Saint Paul’s Church
The construction of St. Paul’s Church was done in between 1601 and 1610 on Portuguese architecture called Baroque style. This architecture was also adopted by many countries like Italy, Spain, America, etc. The terrace of the church is very large. The church was renovated in 1807.
St. Thomas Church
St. Thomas Church was constructed on the basis of Gothic architecture in 1598 by the Portuguese. The church has now been abandoned and is only functional on 1st November. In 1998, it was converted into a museum which consists of old stone inscriptions, idols, sculptures, and statues. The church has the statues of Jesus Christ and Virgin Mary. Along with it, there are statues of St. Thomas and St. Benedict which are 400 years old and made up of wood and marbles.