- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between Long-Term and Short-Term Scheduler in OS
In this post, we will understand the difference between long-term and short-term schedulers in operating system −
It is also known as the job scheduler.
This scheduler takes the process from the ‘job pool’.
In this scheduler, the programs are setup in the queue.
Based on the requirement in hand, the relevant job is selected.
It regulates more DOM (Degree of Multi-programming).
It regulates the programs that are selected by the system to be processed.
It has less speed in comparison to the short-term scheduler.
It changes the state of the process from ‘New’ to ‘Ready’.
This kind of scheduler is not used by time-sharing operating systems.
It selects a relevant process, the right mix of I/O bound and CPU bound.
It is also known as CPU Scheduler.
This scheduler takes the process from ‘ready’ queue.
No queue exists in this scheduler.
It regulates less DOM (Degree of Multi-programming).
It ensures the right program that is important/required to be processed.
It has a high speed in comparison to the long-term scheduler.
It changes the state of the process from ‘Ready’ to ‘Running’.
It may be used minimally in a time-sharing system.
It selects a new process for the CPU frequently.
- Difference between Long-Term and Short-Term Scheduler.
- Differentiate between the long-term, short-term, and medium-term schedulers.
- Write the difference between short term capital gain and long term capital gain.
- Short-term vs medium-term vs long-term scheduling
- Long-Term Financial Plan vs. Short-Term Financial Plan
- What are the differences between short-term and long-term finance functions or decisions?
- Long-term Evolution (LTE)
- Differentiate between long put and short call
- How to Create a Long-Term Financial Plan?
- Difference between Network OS and Distributed OS
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology?
- What are the long-term deleterious effects of childhood obesity?
- Difference Between int and long
- What are short term financial requirements or working capital requirement in finance?
- What are a scheduler and a dispatcher in OS?