Bandel Church - Nearby Places
Bandel church is very popular tourist place which the people like to visit. The place is visited by the tourists from India and abroad. Besides the church, there are many other places nearby which the tourists can visit. Some of these places are discussed here.
Hooghly Imambara was built by Haji Mohammad Mohsin. The monument is situated on the banks of river Ganga in Chinsurah. It took around 20 years to build the monument as the construction was started in 1841 and completed in 1861. There are many rooms in the two-storeyed building along with a wide entrance.
There are two towers at the main gate and a clock tower in their middle. On one side of the monument, there is a mosque and on the other side there are graves of Mohammad Mohsin and his relatives.
Tarakeshwar temple was built in 1729 at Hooghly. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva who is worshipped as Taraknath. The architecture of the temple is based on Bengal temple architecture. The temple is visited all the year round and especially on Mondays. Other occasions on which the temple is most visited is Shivratri and Gajan.
Hangseswari temple was constructed in 19th century and is located in Bansberia in Hooghly. The temple has the height of 21m and there are 13 towers inside the temple having a lotus-shaped top. The temple is dedicated Goddess Hangseswari. Ananta Basudeba Temple is within the precincts of the Hangseswari Temple while Swanbhaba Kali Temple is nearby the temple.
Pandua Bari Mosque
Pandua Bari mosque was constructed in 1300AD having the dimensions of 7041m × 12.8m. The mosque has three aisles with 24 doors for entrance. There are 21 doors in front and three on side. Along with it, there are 63 domes on the roof which are situated over brick arches. The arches rest on stone pillars which depicts the influence of Hindu architecture.
Shanderswartala Temple is located at the distance of 5km from Chinsura railway station and is considered as the oldest temple. Sideshwar Roy Choudhury constructed the temple on the banks of river Ganga. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva whose ilnga was placed by Digambar Haldar in 16th century.