- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Your teacher has shown you the following activity.
Activity: Teacher has wound a long insulated piece of wire around an iron nail in the form of a coil. Free ends of the wire are connected to a cell through a switch as shown in the figure. The current is switched on and some pins are placed near the ends of the nail.
Write down any three questions that come to your mind about this activity."
Some of the questions can be
$(i)$. Why does the nail attract the pins?
$(ii)$. What will happen if we connect more cells in the circuit?
$(iii)$. What will happen if we use some other material like a straw in place of the nail?
$(iv)$. What will happen if we wrap the wire on the nail more tightly?
- Related Articles
- A current of 5 amperes flows through a wire whose ends are at a potential difference of 3 volts. Calculate the resistance of the wire.
- A thick wire is hanging from a wooden table. An anticlockwise magnetic field is to be produced around the wire by passing current through this wire by using a battery. Which terminal of the battery should be connected to the:(a) top end of wire? (b) bottom end of wire? Give reason for your choice.
- Two coils of insulated copper wire are wound over a non-conducting cylinder as shown. Coil 1 has comparative large number of turns. State your observations, when(i) Key K is closed.(ii) Key K is opened.Give reason for each of your observations."\n
- When an electric current flows through a copper wire AB as shown in figure, the wire$(a)$. deflects a magnetic needle placed near it$(b)$. becomes red hot$(c)$. gives electric shock$(d)$. behaves like a fuse"
- A magnetic compass shows a deflection when placed near a current-carrying wire. How will the deflection of the compass get affected if the current in the wire is increased? Support your answer with a reason.
- A piece of wire of resistance 20 ohms is bent through 180 degrees at its mid-point and the two halves are twisted together and ends are connected together, then the resistance becomes?
- A horizontal wire carries a current as shown in Figure below between magnetic poles N and S: Is the direction of the force on the wire due to the magnet :(a) in the direction the current(b) vertically downwards(c) opposite to the current direction(d)vertically upwards"\n
- Three torches A, B, and C shown in the figure are switched on one by one.The light from which of the torches will not form a shadow of the ball on the screen."
- A piece of wire 144 cm long is bent to form a semicircle. Find the diameter of the semicircle in metres.
- An electric bulb is connected to a cell through a switch as shown in figure. When the switch is brought in ‘ON’ position, the bulb does not glow. What could be the possible reason/s for it? Mention any two of them."
- The current flowing through a resistor connected in a circuit and the potential difference developed across its ends are as shown in the diagram by milliammeter and voltmeter readings respectively:(a) What are the least counts of these meters?(b) What is the resistance of the resistor?"\n
- Which one of the following statements is not true?(a) In a house circuit, lamps are used in parallel. (b) Switches, fuses, and circuit breakers should be placed in the neutral wire (c) An electric iron has its earth wire connected to the metal case to prevent the user receiving a shock (d) When connecting a three-core cable to a 13 A three-pin plug, the red wire goes to the live pin.
- Boojho has a cell and a single piece of connecting wire. Without cutting the wire in two, will he be able to make the bulb glow? Explain with the help of a circuit diagram.
- A coil of insulated copper wire is connected to a galvanometer. What will happen if a bar magnet is $(i)$. pushed into the coil,$(ii)$. withdrawn from inside the coil,$(iii)$. held stationary inside the coil?
- You are provided three scales A, B, and C as shown in the figure to measure a length of 10 cm.For the correct measurement of the length