Why should we not burn plastic items?

AcademicChemistryNCERTClass 6

We should not burn plastic items because:
  • Plastic is a non-biodegradable substance, so it cannot be easily burnt.
  • On burning, harmful gases and fumes are liberated out which are hazardous to the health of humans and animals and also to the environment.
  • The ashes left after the burning of plastic are toxic in nature and thus, harm the environment.
  • The leftover burnt pieces of plastic can be eaten by animals which may lead to their death by choking them.
  • Plastic is not environmentally friendly. Its burning causes soil pollution and air pollution.

[Additional information:

The plastic word was derived from the word ‘Plastikos’ meaning ‘to mold’ in Greek. 

Fossil fuels have compounds containing hydrogen and carbon (hydrocarbon) which act as building blocks for long polymer molecules. These building blocks are known as monomers, they link together to form long carbon chains called polymers.


Plastic was discovered accidentally in 1864 by  German chemist Christian Schonbein. While experimenting, he spilled a mixture of nitric acid and sulphuric acid and took a cloth to mop it. After moping he kept it over the stove, by mistake. After some time, the cloth disappeared and from their plastic got its name.]

raja
Updated on 10-Oct-2022 13:20:30

Advertisements