- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why should Muslim women cover their face or body?
According to a Salafist preacher by the name of Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid, who runs a website for authentic information on everything related to Islam, known as IslamQA.info, a woman's face is the equivalent of 'Awrah' which means revealing among other things, in Arabic, and should hence be covered.
Many others, who know the Quran well, however, say that Muslim tradition requires the whole body to be covered in attire that doesn't hug the body too tightly, except the face, hands, and feet. The term 'Burqa' is Arabic and it has come to mean the veiled overall covering the woman who wears it, from head to feet with a netted opening around the eyes.
Muslim Socio-Cultural Traditions
Today, many Muslim women can be seen wearing different variants of the head cover that reveal their faces as the netted veil, called Burqa, is gradually going out of use. To answer your question, as to why Muslim women wear the Burqa, let's consider the dress variants that are replacing the Burqa as we know it.
The Muslim women wear it as part of a socio-cultural requirement and also because it obviously gives them the much-needed peace of mind. By wearing these variants of the Burqa, Muslim women feel they are abiding by the norms of Muslim socio-cultural traditions.
Not Every Cloth Is Burkha
Many folks, especially those who are not Muslims, think all of these variants are burqas; actually, these are not burqas. First, let's understand that there are two parts in a Muslim woman's dress - the loose cloak that covers her from her neck right down to her ankle and the headdress.
It is the headdress that actually distinguishes the Muslim woman's dress as a Burqa and other variants such as the Niqab, Hijab, Shayla, Al-Amira, Chador, and Khimar. Of these, only the Niqab comes close to the Burqa as it covers the face with just an opening for the eyes. All the other headdresses allow the face to be revealed.
- Related Articles
- Do Muslim women apply sindoor? If not, why?
- Why You Should Wear Purple on International Women's Day
- Why is women empowerment related to education of women?
- 10 Common Symptoms Women Should Never Ignore
- Why does menstruation occur? Describe the menstrual cycle in human females (or women).
- Why are women smarter than men?
- Why are women considered bad drivers?
- How can women be responsible for their own safety?
- While constructing a house in a coastal area, in which direction should the windows preferably face and why?
- When a force acting on a body has equal and opposite reaction, then why should the body move at all?
- What pleases women more- flowers or jewellery?
- Should I write my script in the body or the head of the HTML?
- Being a girl, where should I get a Tattoo done on my body and why?
- Why are women more prone to Calcium Deficiency?
- Why do we cover plug pin holes which are within the reach of children with cellotape or a plastic cover when not in use?