- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why are barber shops in India closed on Tuesdays?
In traditional Hindu belief system cutting of nails and hair on Tuesdays is considered to be a bad sign. Many people believe that is not auspicious. We do not know, how this has originated and many people follow in India follow this. I think due to very scant people visiting the barber shops, they might also have chosen to keep it closed on Tuesdays. If people are not visiting the barber shop on Tuesday, it also makes sense for them to close it on Tuesdays and take their weekly off.
Mangalwar or Tuesday is ruled by Mars or Mangal. Mars or the Angarak is the red planet and is associated with heat. Mars is believed to influence the human body and blood and responsible for cuts and bruises on the body. He is also believed to start unnecessary fights and create unwanted competitions among people. So people avoid doing risky things like the haircut on that day. Really ..........???
Tuesday is dedicated to worship Maa Durga and Mahalakshmi in Hinduism. Worshipping them on Tuesdays is supposed to bring luck and money. Tuesday is called Mangal Var or the auspicious day. On auspicious days and on festivals cutting nails and haircut will not be done, as these activities are considered as inauspicious.
Talking about such beliefs, in several households, they do not even perform periodical cleaning on Tuesdays. We do not know how it has started, but people do not even undertake the periodical cleaning tasks such as throwing the accumulated garbage, cleaning the cobwebs and so on Tuesdays.
- Why are superstitions so prevalent in India?
- Why are farmers constantly committing suicide in India?
- Why iPhone's are so costly in India?
- Which are the states in India affected by Naxalites? And why?
- Why people are mad for many hypocritical ‘babas’ in India?
- Why do road accidents occur in India?
- Why are petrol prices not decreased in India when international prices of crude oil are low?
- Why film stars make bad leaders in India?
- Why is waste management such a big problem in most cities across India? Why does northern India have a comparatively poorer cleanliness record than southern India?
- Why China is way ahead than India in technology?
- Why is Hyderabad still a part of India?
- Why there was a National Emergency during 1975 in India?
- Why is it considered auspicious to bathe in rivers in India?
- Why are there bumps on the F and J keys on a Keyboard?
- Which are the fastest trains in India?