- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the difference between lactic acid and ethanol? What are muscle cramps?
Lactic acid is the product formed in the muscles, in the absence of oxygen.
During strenuous exercises like running, the body needs instant energy. This is fulfilled through anaerobic respiration. Muscle cells break down glucose to produce lactic acid and energy is produced.
When we get cramps, the glucose is broken down partially into lactic acid and carbon dioxide to meet the demand for energy.
In this respiration, glucose is converted into lactic acid with the release of a small amount of energy in the form of ATP.
The accumulation of lactic acid leads to painful movements or cramps in leg muscles.
Ethanol is the product of anaerobic respiration produced by the organisms like yeast and a few bacteria. This process is known as fermentation.
During fermentation (anaerobic respiration), the pyruvate is converted into ethanol (C2H5OH) and carbon dioxide (CO2) by yeast and releases energy in the form of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP).
Given below is the schematic flow chart showing the breakdown of glucose.
- Why do muscle cramps occur frequently in athletes and sports person?
- Difference Between Acid Test Ratio and Current Ratio
- What are the difference between accounting and auditing?
- What are TRIGGERS in DB2? What is the difference between TRIGGERS and STORED PROCEDURES?
- What is the effect of hyaluronic acid on skin/health?
- What is the difference between = and: = assignment operators?
- What is the difference between g++ and gcc?
- What is the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism?
- What is the difference between IAS and IPS?
- What is the difference between hastily and quickly?
- What is the difference between Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis?
- What is the difference between deforestation and afforestation?
- What is the difference between home and house?
- What is the difference between CV and Resume?
- What is the difference between Liter and Litre?
- What is the difference between CDSL and NSDL?