- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the acceleration of free fall?
To get to know the acceleration of free fall, let us know a little about a free fall motion:
Free fall motion:
When a body or object is dropped in the air from a certain height, it begins to fall under the influence of gravity. This motion of the object or body is called a free fall motion and the object is called a freely falling object. Only gravitational force$(gravity)$ acts on the body that attracts it vertically downward to the earth. No other force acts on such a freely falling object.
Examples of free fall:
A fruit falling from the tree after getting ripped and a stone dropped from a certain height are examples of freely falling objects.
Acceleration of free fall:
Acceleration of free fall is the acceleration experienced by a freely falling object falling due to gravity. All objects freely fall at the same rate of acceleration regardless of their mass. Acceleration of free fall is also known as acceleration due to gravity gravitational acceleration. The acceleration of free fall is denoted by $'g'$.
Formula for the acceleration of free fall
When an object is dropped for free fall from a certain height $h$ and it takes $t$ time to reach the ground,
Its initial velocity $u=0$
Here, acceleration $a=g$,
On substituting the above values in the three equations of motion, we have:
Here, $v$ is the final velocity of the free-falling object when it reaches the ground.
SI unit of the gravitational acceleration is $meter/secon^2$ or $m/s^2$.
On earth, the value of the acceleration of free fall is constant and equal to $9.8\ m/s^2$.
- Related Articles
- When a ball is let free fall from the top of building. What is the acceleration and what its sign?
- (a) What do you mean by the term ‘free fall’ ?(b) During a free fall, will heavier objects accelerate more than lighter ones ?
- What do you mean by free fall? Explain with an example.
- In free fall the weight of a body will be zero or not?
- What is the SI unit of acceleration?
- What is meant by the term ‘acceleration’ ? State the SI unit of acceleration.
- What is acceleration?
- What is the other name of negative acceleration ?
- What is a constant acceleration and variable acceleration?
- What is Context-Free Grammar?
- What is Free Cash Flow?
- In a free fall the velocity of a stone is increasing equally ion equal intervals of time under the effect of gravitational force of the earth. Then what can you say about the motion of this stone? Whether the stone is having:a). Uniform acceleration b). Non-uniform accelerationc). Retardation d). Constant speed
- What is Network Acceleration?
- What is centripetal acceleration?
- What is a risk-free asset?