- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Fleming's left-hand thumb rule?
Whenever a current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force. The relation between these three is stated by Fleming’s left-hand rule. To understand this rule, the thumb, middle and index fingers are placed in perpendicular to each other.
Imagine a current carrying conductor placed in-between a horseshoe magnet. This magnet produces some magnetic field which will be in the direction indicated by the forefinger or Index finger. The current passing through the conductor will be in the direction of the middle finger. This conductor experiences a force which is indicated in the direction of thumb. In case, the poles of this magnet were reversed, the applied force will also be in the reverse direction.
The same rule is used for motors. Under a magnetic field, if a current carrying conductor is placed and moved with certain speed, it produces some magnetic field which will be against the magnetic field that is already being applied there. Now, the newly produced magnetic field pushes the conductor. This principle of Fleming’s left-hand rule is applied in electric motors.
- Related Articles
- What is the other name of Maxwell's right-hand thumb rule?
- The north-south polarities of an electromagnet can be found easily by using:(a) Fleming's right-hand rule(b) Fleming's left-hand rule (c) Clock face rule (d) Left-hand thumb rule
- State and explain Maxwell's right-hand thumb rule.
- In a statement of Fleming's left-hand rule, what do the following represent?(a) direction of centre finger.(b) direction of forefinger.(c) direction of thumb.
- For Fleming's left-hand rule, write down the three things that are 90° to each other, and next to each one write down the finger or thumb that represents it.
- State Fleming's left-hand rule. Explain it with the help of labelled diagrams.
- Fleming’s Left-Hand and Right-Hand Rules Explained
- What is RHS rule?
- What is Hand-Picking?
- What is Association rule learning?
- What is ASA congruence rule ?
- Is there any specific reason why some countries follow the left-hand drive while others have the right-hand drive?
- What is horizontal rule in HTML Page?
- What is the working of Association Rule?
- What is the divisibility rule of 11?