- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is biological magnification? Will the levels of this magnification be different at different levels of the ecosystem?
Biological Magnification: The process of increase in the concentration of toxic entities or chemicals with an increase in trophic level in a food chain is known as biological magnification.
Chemical substances such as pesticides are sprayed over crop plants to protect them from pests and diseases. Pesticides are non - biodegradable, so they get accumulated at each trophic level.
When herbivorous animals eat plants, these poisonous chemical pesticides go into their bodies. Man, being an omnivore, eats plant food as well as the meat of herbivores. Thus, the pesticides present in plant food and herbivores get transferred to man's body through food. Since humans occupy the top level in any food chain, the maximum amount of harmful chemical pesticides gets accumulated in our bodies, damaging our health gradually.
The following food chain explains how the biological magnification of harmful chemicals can occur.
Plants → Herbivore → Man
- What are the different levels of Parallelism?
- What are the different levels of Code Scheduling in computer architecture?
- What are different levels of abstraction in Computer Architecture?
- Plot different colors for different categorical levels using matplotlib
- What are different transaction isolation levels in DBMS?
- Python Pandas - Get the Integer number of levels in this MultiIndex
- What are the levels of computer system organization?
- What are the levels of memory in the Operating System?
- What are the levels at which filters can be applied in ASP .Net MVC C#?
- Print the nodes at odd levels of a tree in C++ Programming.
- What are the Three Levels of Capital Budgeting Decision-Making?
- What are the levels of database security in information security?
- Program to print the nodes at odd levels of a tree using C++
- Three levels of database architecture
- Find multiplication of sums of data of leaves at same levels in Python
- Python Pandas - Get the Names of levels in MultiIndex