- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the functions of the gastric gland present in the wall of the stomach?
The gastric gland, present in the wall of the stomach, secretes gastric juice.
Gastric juice contains three substances.
These are hydrochloric acid, the enzyme pepsin, and mucus.
(a) Hydrochloric acid:
The main function of hydrochloric acid in food is to kill bacteria that may enter the stomach with food. It also helps in creating the acidic environment or acidic pH required for the activation of inactive pepsinogen.
It digests proteins present in food and converts them into smaller molecules.
Pepsin helps in the digestion of proteins into amino acids.
It helps protect the stomach's inner layer from its own secretions of hydrochloric acid. It helps to protect the stomach wall from the corrosive effect of hydrochloric acid.
If the mucus is not secreted by the gastric glands then the gas will damage the inner lining of the stomach and lead to ulcers in the stomach.
- What are the functions of the operating system?
- What are the Functions of the Secondary Market?
- What are the functions of Network Management?
- What are the functions of Network Layer?
- What are the types of Finance Functions?
- What are the various Functions of Marketing?
- What are the components and functions of the UNIX OS?
- What are the functions of Treasurers and Controllers?
- What are the functions of network address translation?
- What are the major functions of capital markets?
- What are the Functions of a Merchant Banker?
- What are the functions of Public key Cryptography?
- What are the different types of functions in C Programming?
- What are the different categories of functions in C Programming?
- What are the functions of each layer in TCP/IP?
- What are the functions of Scheduling Model in computer architecture?