- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the duties of Member of Parliament in Indian constitution?
A Member of Parliament in India is either the member of Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha who serves as the representative of people elected directly or indirectly. The members are elected through territorial representation in Lok Sabha and proportional representation in Rajya Sabha. 12 members are nominated to Rajya Sabha who have expertise in science, social service, art or literature.
Since India has accepted a Parliamentary form of government on the similar lines of British Parliamentary government, Members of Parliament have important duties to be discharged.
Legislation − The Prime function of the MPs is to participate in the Law making process. The laws in the Parliament are made based on the subjects of the Union List. Once the initiated Bill (a draft of the proposed law) gets approval in both the houses of Parliament, it becomes an act with the assent of the President. Before a law is made, elaborate discussions are conducted on each and every point in it.
Questioning the executive − In the Parliamentary system of India, the Executive is an integral part of the Legislature. The Members of Parliament exercise their control over the Executive through Cut motion, Zero Hour, Question Hour, No confidence motion, calling attention motion, adjournment motion, etc.
Amendment to the Constitution − Members of the Parliament take part in the amendment of Constitutional provisions according to the necessity. These provisions have been explained in Article 368 in the Constitution of India.
Election duties − While the Members of Parliament cast their votes in the periodic elections in the country as a Citizen of this nation, they are granted an extra-privilege with regards to the election. Members of Parliament have to cast their votes in the elections of the President and the Vice-President of India.
Representing the issues − Members of the Parliament are the representative of a particular constituency and hence it is extremely important for them to raise the matters of concern in the Parliament whenever required and also to bring to the attention of the Parliament any flaws in policy implementation affecting the people directly. Thus, discussions and deliberations constitute one of the main functions for Members of Parliament.
- What are the duties of governor in Indian constitution?
- What are the duties of chief minister in Indian constitution?
- What are the duties of a prime minister in Indian constitution?
- What are the duties of the President of India?
- What is budget? What is its significance in Indian constitution?
- What are the member variables of a class in C#?
- What are the six systems of Ancient Indian Philosophy?
- What are member functions of a class in C#?
- What are some of the Indian web series which are must watch?
- What are static member functions in C#?
- What are you proud of Indian culture and Hinduism, and why?
- What is the best part of being an Indian?
- What are some of the best Indian movies of all time that we can see anytime, anywhere?
- What is the scope of a private member variable of a class in C#?
- What is the scope of a protected member variable of a class in C#?