- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Trim and appliques are integral parts of the dresses. When a fabric is stitched and it is given a wearable shape trim and appliques are used. Without them, it is not feasible.
What is Trim?
The term “trim” refers to an extra element added to a fully completed garment to add some more functionality. A trim not only adds functionality but also adds more attractiveness to the garment. Among many kinds of trim, applique is one.
What is Applique?
An applique refers to a designed fabric that is stitched onto a plain fabric by hand or sewing machine. These do play a major role in making a garment look more beautiful. Likewise, applique is a kind of trim that is different from all other trim varieties. Appliques are shaped pieces of fabric sewn to a garment with decorative stitches. These can be found in many parts of fashion, namely clothing, home garments, door mats, door curtains, TV covers, etc. Depending on how to attach fabric and applique, these appliques are divided into three kinds: hand applique, sewing applique, and fused applique.
- Hand Applique − Hand Applique is the one in which the applique is attached to the base garment by means of stitching by hand.
- Sewing Applique − The sewing machine applique is the one in which the applique is attached to the base garment by means of stitching through the sewing machine.
- Fused Applique − The fused applique is the one in which the applique is attached to the heated base garment by means of hitting it hard with an iron.
Depending on the edge of the applique, these appliques are divided into some types.
Smooth edge applique, raw-edge applique, multi-needle hoop applique, reverse applique, decorative applique, and felt applique.
- Smooth Edge Applique − A smooth edge applique is one whose corners are very smooth.
- Raw Edge Applique − The raw edge applique is the one whose corners are very hard. It means it has an uneven corner.
- Multi-needle Hoop Applique − Multi-needle Hoop applique is the one in which advanced stitching technology is used. Stitches are placed in advance and the background fabric is made to change its position such that each and every section is stitched accurately.
- Reverse Applique − As the name suggests, the process of this is pretty much reversed from the conventional process. Instead of sewing the applique on the plane fabric, here the layered fabrics are made to be together and stitched a motif on top. Then we usually cut those parts.
- Decorative Stitch Applique − This is a type of sewing applique in which the ultimate designs are made on the sewing machine itself. This is a pretty good process.
- Felt Applique − Felt is a different kind of fabric that can be cut into any form, and the best property of that is that it won’t fray. Felt applique is the one in which a design out of felt is premade and this is stitched to the base garment.
Application of the Applique
Applique has a huge range of applications, right from doormats to half sarees of beautiful ladies. If you can see the applique that’s been stitched on a doormat, you will be fascinated. The base cloth can be of any cloth. It can be cotton, silk, or polyester. In the same way, applique can be of any cloth, but it should be in such a way that it can be cut and stitched on the base cloth.
Whereas an applique related to a saree or a half saree is different from that of a door mat applique. Applique related to a saree or half-saree should be very soft and its corners should be very soft. Whereas the corners of doormats need not be smooth.
How an Applique is Made?
Applique work usually requires a needle, thread, and some fabric. That fabric is cut into different shapes and stitched using a needle and a thread. This is usually used for decoration, as patchwork, on garments. Usually, people who are well experienced in hand embroidery can do this kind of work in no time. Stitches of different colors are continuously done to make a particular design, and this is stitched on a base cloth to give the base cloth a particular design. In this way, appliques on different kinds of clothing are made. Similarly, applique on pillows and bed sheets is done and given an attractive design.
The effect of applique on the cost of a garment.
If a garment costs x rupees for its planned design, if a smart person comes into play and adds a perfect applique to that cloth, the cost of the cloth can be increased to nX rupees. This is the smartest way to increase the cost of the plan’s priceless garment.
From the above, it can be seen that applique is a decorative element that increases the attractive look of a garment. Applique can be hard or soft-cornered. In the same way, appliques can be hand woven, machine woven, or fused. As said, appliques can be integrated with doormats, door curtains, TV covers, bed sheets, pillow covers, sarees, dresses, etc.
- Related Articles
- Trim – Lingerie
- How to trim a string using $.trim() in jQuery?
- C# Trim() Method
- Trim: Meaning & Significance
- trim() function in PHP
- Java String trim() method example.
- Python – Trim tuples by K
- How to trim commas with MySQL?
- concat(), replace(), and trim() Strings in Java.
- How to use trim () in Android sqlite?
- How to use trim () in Android textview?
- How to Trim a String in Arduino?
- Trim tuples by N elements in Python
- How to Trim a String in Golang?
- What is the purpose of MySQL TRIM() function?