- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
The breakdown of pyruvate to give carbon dioxide, water and energy takes place in
Correct Answer: (b) mitochondria
The breakdown of pyruvate to give carbon dioxide, water, and energy takes place in mitochondria.
Pyruvate, the conjugate base, CH3COCOO-, is a key intermediate in several metabolic pathways throughout the cell.
One glucose molecule breaks down into two molecules of pyruvate, which are then used to provide further energy in either aerobic or anaerobic pathways.
Its formula is C3H4O3.
In bacteria, eukaryotes, and most archaea, glycolysis breaks down glucose. It produces energy, reduced electron carriers, and metabolic precursor molecules. Despite not requiring oxygen, glycolysis can be combined with aerobic or anaerobic metabolic processes. It starts with a 6-carbon glucose molecule and ends with 2-carbon pyruvate molecules. After glycolysis, pyruvate can undergo aerobic or anaerobic respiration to release energy.
Pyruvate is metabolized with or without oxygen. The location of pyruvate breakdown may differ between scenarios. Anaerobic breakdown of pyruvate in the cytoplasm produces acids and alcohol through fermentation.
Pyruvate enters the Krebs cycle in oxygen-rich mitochondria for anaerobic breakdown. Aerobic respiration. Pyruvate is broken down aerobically in mitochondria and anaerobically in the cytoplasm.
Bacterial pyruvate breakdown is essential for anaerobic respiration. Pyruvate may be broken down anaerobically by bacteria, releasing carbon dioxide and acids or alcohols.
- How does exercise affect the rate of carbon dioxide production?
- Generation of Electrical Energy and its Importance
- What is Carbon Arc Welding?
- Signals and Systems: Energy and Power Signals
- Give advantages and disadvantages of the double entry system
- Principle of Electromechanical Energy Conversion
- How can iOS Causes Breakdown in Great Devices?
- What are different Units of Energy?
- What are the five main sources of electrical energy?
- Types of Electric Water Heater (Plate Heater, Immersion Water Heater, Geyser)
- Water and Jug Problem in C++
- MySQL CASE statement to place custom values in place of NULL
- Types of Power Plants for Energy Generation
- How to purify water at home without a water purifying machine?