- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Paheli bought a statue made up of copper. To her surprise, it acquired a dull green coating after a couple of months. Explain the reason.
When a copper statue (or copper vessel) is exposed to moist air for long, it acquires a dull green coating. The green material is a mixture of copper hydroxide [Cu(OH)2] and copper carbonate (CuCO3) formed due to the reaction of copper with moist air. The following is the reaction:
$2Cu + H_2O + CO_2 + O_2 → Cu(OH)_2 + CuCO_3$
This is known as the corrosion of copper.
- Related Articles
- Why does silver jewellery look dull after a few months?
- When a copper object is exposed to moist air for a long time, then a green coating is formed on its surface.(a) What is the material of the green coating?(b) State whether the green coating is acidic or basic.
- Copper objects lose their shine and form green coating of(a) Copper oxide(b) Copper hydroxide and Copper oxide(c) Basic Copper carbonate(d) Copper carbonate
- Paheli kept an empty bottle made of plastic inside a refrigerator. After few hours, when she opened the refrigerator she found the bottle had collapsed. Explain the possible reason.
- lt was Paheli’s birthday. Her grandmother gave her two gifts made of metals, one old dull silver spoon and a pair of lustrous gold earrings. She was surprised to see the difference in the appearance of the two metals. Can you explain the reason for this difference?
- Paheli prepared a blue coloured solution of copper sulphate in beaker A and placed an iron nail in it. Boojho prepared a yellowish-green solution of ferrous sulphate in beaker B and placed a copper wire in it. What changes will they observe in the two beakers after an hour?
- If copper is kept open in the air, it slowly loses its shining brown surface and gains a green coating. It is due to the formation ofCuSO4CuCO3CU(NO3)2CuO
- Jute is a made up of ------?
- Ram bought an iron shield and displayed it in balcony of his house. After a week, he observed brown deposits over it. What type of change is it? Give reason.
- (a) Give reason why copper is used to make hot water tanks but steel (an alloy of iron) is not.(b) Explain why, the surface of some metals acquires a dull appearance when exposed to air for a long time.
- Paheli bought some vegetables such as french beans, lady’s finger, green chilies, brinjals, and potatoes all mixed in a bag. Which of the following methods of separation would be most appropriate for her to separate them?WinnowingSievingThreshingHand picking
- A lady went to the market to buy a blanket. The shopkeeper showed her blankets made up of acrylic fibres as well as made up of wool. She preferred to buy an acrylic blanket. Can you guess why?
- Paheli wants to present her friend a gift made of plant-fibre. Which out of the following will she select?Jute bagWoollen shawlSilk sareeNylon scarf
- (a) Name an alloy of copper. State its chemical composition and any one use.(b) Explain why, when a copper object remains in damp air for a considerable time, a green coating is formed on its surface. What is this process known as ?
- When a vessel is exposed to moist air for a long time, then a green coating is formed on its surface. The vessel must be made of:zincmagnesiumironcopper