- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What produces more severe burns, boiling water or steam?
As the water gets converted into steam at 100°C by gaining heat equal to its latent heat of vaporization and thus, steam is hotter than water at 100°C and causes more severe burns compared to water. Steam contains more heat in the form of latent heat of vaporization as compared to boiling water, which possesses less heat.
[Extra information: The heat energy that is supplied to change the state of a substance without changing the temperature of the substance is called its latent heat.
The two types of latent heat are:
- Latent heat of fusion
- Latent heat of vaporization
The latent heat of vaporisation of a liquid is the quantity of heat in joules required to convert 1 kilogram of the liquid at its boiling point to gas or vapour, without any change in temperature.
The latent heat of vaporisation of water is 22.5 × 105 J/kg.]
- Related Articles
- Which produces more severe burns: boiling water or steam? Why?
- Why does steam cause more severe burns than boiling water?
- Water as ice has a cooling effect, whereas water as steam may cause severe burns. Explain these observations.
- Explain why, steam at 100° C is better for heating purposes than boiling water at 100° C.
- Which exerts more pressure- air or water?
- Define 'boiling point' of a substance? What is the boiling point of water?
- Which contains more heat, 1 kg of water at 100° C or 1 kg of steam at 100° C? Give reason for your answer.
- Which of the following produces more heat (per unit mass) on burning?Coal or LPG
- What is Steam?
- How boiling of water is a physical change?
- Steam is an example of gas or not?
- Is the speed of sound more in water or in steel?
- What is a steam engine?
- What is boiling point?
- What pleases women more- flowers or jewellery?