- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the meaning of the process Oxidation?
Here I've explained Oxidation and Reduction, and the difference between them.
Hope your all doubts will be cleared related to this topic.
Oxidation is the loss of electrons or an increase in the oxidation state of an atom, an ion, or of certain atoms in a molecule.
Example: The reaction between magnesium metal and oxygen to form magnesium oxide involves the oxidation of magnesium.
2Mg(s) + O2(g) ------------ 2MgO(s) [Oxidation]
Reduction is the gain of electrons or a decrease in the oxidation state of an atom, an ion, or of certain atoms in a molecule.
Example: The reaction between magnesium oxide and carbon at 2000C to form magnesium metal and carbon monoxide is an example of the reduction of magnesium oxide to magnesium metal.
MgO(s) + C(s) ------------ Mg(s) + CO(g) [Reduction]
An oxidation-reduction reaction is also known as a redox reaction.
The difference between Oxidation and Reduction is as follows:
|Removal or loss of electrons.||Addition or gain of electrons.|
|Removal of Hydrogen.||Addition of Hydrogen.|
|Addition of Oxygen.||Removal of Oxygen.|
|All the reactions release energy.||All the reactions store energy.|
|Results in a compound with lower potential energy.||Results in a compound with higher potential energy|
- Related Articles
- What is the meaning of Life Process?
- What is the meaning of process of sublimation
- What is Oxidation?
- What is an oxidation reaction?
- The process of respiration is:(a) an oxidation reaction which is endothermic(b) a reduction reaction which is exothermic(c) a combination reaction which is endothermic(d) an oxidation reaction which is exothermic
- What is the process of pipelining?
- What is the process of KDD?
- What is the meaning of the terminal?
- What is the meaning of Fibres?
- What is the meaning of Atoms ?
- What is the meaning of Consumer?
- What is the meaning of anxiety?
- What is the meaning of congruence?
- What is the meaning of starch?
- What is the meaning of soluble?