- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a solenoid? Draw the pattern of magnetic field lines of (i) a current-carrying solenoid and (ii) a bar magnet. List two distinguishing features between the two fields.
A solenoid is a long coil that contains a large number of close turns of insulated copper wire. Its ends are connected to a battery B through a switch X.
(i) The magnetic field lines of a current-carrying solenoid are shown in the figure given below:
(ii) The magnetic field lines of a bar-magnet are shown in the figure given below:
Two distinguishing features between the two fields are:
1. Its magnetic field strength can be changed by changing the amount of current or core of the solenoid.
1. Its magnetic field strength is fixed, and cannot be changed.
2. Its poles can be interchanged by changing the direction of the current.
2. Its pole cannot be interchanged i.e. field direction is fixed.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started