- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the environmental consequences of the increasing demand for energy? What steps would you suggest to reduce energy consumption?
The environmental consequences of the increasing demand for energy are as follows:
1. Setting up more nuclear power plants increases the radioactivity in the environment.
2. Construction of hydropower plants is disturbing the ecological balance.
3. The combustion of fossil fuels causes acid rain, due to which plants, soil, and aquatic life get damaged.
4. The combustion of fossil fuels also increases the greenhouse gasses (carbon dioxide) which pollute air present in the atmosphere.
Steps for reducing energy consumption are given below:
1. Switch off all the electrical devices such as TV, lights and fans when not needed.
2. Energy-efficient electrical appliances should be used.
3. Solar cookers and pressure cookers should be used for cooking food.
4. Solar water heaters should be used.
5. Biogas should be encouraged as a cooking fuel in rural areas.
6. For covering short distances, the bicycle should be used so that precious fuels like petrol can be saved.
- Related Articles
- Mention the environmental consequences of the increasing demand for energy. List four steps you would suggest to reduce the consumption of energy.
- What steps would you suggest to reduce energy consumption?
- What are the environmental consequences of the increasing demand for energy?
- What are the environmental consequences of using fossil fuels? Suggest the steps to minimise the pollution caused by various sources of energy including non conventional sources of energy.
- What steps would you suggest for the judicious use of fuels?
- How is the increasing demand for energy adversely affecting our environment?
- What is Specific Energy Consumption in Electric Traction?
- State any five steps to reduce the consumption of coal and petroleum products.
- What can you as an individual do to reduce your consumption of the various natural resources?
- What are the conventional sources of energy?
- What are the differences between Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy?
- What is a source of energy? What are the two main categories of the sources of energy?
- (a) Photosynthesis converts energy X into energy Y. What are X and Y?(b) State the various steps involved in the process of photosynthesis.
- (a) What are the advantages of nuclear energy?(b) State the disadvantages of nuclear energy?
- Energy Resources and Their Environmental Impacts