- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the differences between static, rolling and sliding friction?
Friction is an opposing force that exists between two surfaces which are in contact. It helps us a lot in doing many activities.
1. Static friction
This friction occurs when a body rests on the ground. For example, while trekking, the friction between your shoe and the ground helps in climbing the mountain.
2. Sliding friction
This friction occurs when a body slides on the ground. For example, while writing with a pencil the pencil lead slides on the paper. The friction between lead and the paper is good enough to leave a watermark on the paper.
3. Rolling friction
This type of friction occurs between rolling objects and the ground. For example, the friction between the tires and the ground, etc.
- Related Articles
- Ball bearing is a device which usually converts:(a) rolling friction into sliding friction(b) static friction into sliding friction (c) sliding friction into rolling friction(d) rolling friction into static friction
- Which of the following statements is incorrect?(a) static friction is greater than rolling friction(b) sliding friction is less than rolling friction(c) rolling friction is less than static friction(d) static friction is greater than sliding friction
- Four children were asked to arrange forces due to rolling, static and sliding frictions in a decreasing order. Their arrangements are given below. Choose the correct arrangement.$(a)$. rolling, static, sliding$(b)$. rolling, sliding, static$(c)$. static, sliding, rolling$(d)$. sliding, static, rolling
- Four children were asked to arrange forces due to rolling, static and sliding frictions in a decreasing order. The correct arrangement is:(a) Rolling, Static, Sliding(b) Rolling, Sliding, Static (c) Static, Sliding, Rolling(d) Sliding, Static, Rolling
- Out of sliding friction, static friction and rolling friction:(a) which one is the smallest?(b) which one is the largest?
- What are the differences between Non-persistent and p-Persistent CSMA?
- Explain why, sliding friction is less than static friction.
- Rolling Friction and Rolling Resistance
- If the static friction between two surfaces P and Q is measured to be 50 N, then the sliding friction between these two surfaces is most likely to be:(a) 75 Nb) 45 Nc) 55 Nd) 65 N
- A book is lying on the horizontal table top. If we tilt the table a little, then the book starts sliding down slowly. This happens because:(a) sliding friction is greater than static friction(b) sliding friction is less than force of gravity(c) static friction is greater than sliding friction(d) force of gravity is less than sliding friction
- Sliding Friction
- Rolling friction
- What are the differences between the 3 types of friction?
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p in c++
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p in C