- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
State whether the fission of uranium-235 is caused by low energy neutrons or high energy neutrons.
The fission of uranium-235 is caused by low-energy neutrons, which are also known as slow-moving neutrons.
The fission of uranium-235 is caused by low-energy neutrons (or, slow-moving neutrons) because slowing the neutron, the possibilities of the neutron reacting with the nucleus of Uranium-235 increases significantly, allowing the chain reaction to be maintained.
Nuclear fission - It is defined as the splitting of a heavy nucleus into two lighter or daughter nuclei through a nuclear reaction. The heavy nucleus is bombarded with neutrons, which results in the production of a high amount of energy.
- Related Articles
- Which particles bring about the fission of uranium-235?
- Which one of the following statements is not true about nuclear energy generation in a nuclear reactor?(A) Energy is obtained by a process called nuclear fission.(B) The nucleus of Uranium is bombarded with high energy neutrons.(C) A chain reaction is set in the process.(D) In this process a tremendous amount of energy is released at a controlled rate.
- Which product of the nuclear fission of uranium-235 is utilised to cause further fission of its nuclei?
- State whether the following statement is true or false:An electric motor converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
- State whether the following statement is true or false:Tidal energy is one of the forms in which solar energy manifests itself in oceans.
- Assertion (A): In the process of nuclear fission, the amount of nuclear energy generated by the fission of an atom of uranium is so tremendous that it produces 10 million times the energy produced by the combustion of an atom of carbon from coal.Reason (R): The nucleus of a heavy atom such as uranium, when bombarded with low-energy neutrons, splits apart into lighter nuclei. The mass difference between the original nucleus and the product nuclei gets converted to tremendous energy.(a) Both A and R are true and R is correct explanation of the Assertion.(b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of the Assertion.(c) A is true but R is false.(d) A is false but R is true.
- Bluetooth vs Bluetooth Low Energy
- State the location of electrons, protons and neutrons in an atom.
- Name the devices or machines which convert:(i) Electrical energy into sound energy.(ii) Heat energy into kinetic energy (or mechanical energy).(iii) Chemical energy into kinetic energy (or mechanical energy).(iv) Chemical energy into heat energy.(v) Light energy into heat energy.
- (a) What is geothermal energy?(b) What is the source of heat contained in geothermal energy?(c) Explain how, geothermal energy is used to generate electricity.(d) State two advantages of geothermal energy.(e) State two disadvantages of geothermal energy.
- The energy possessed by an oscillating pendulum of a clock is: (a) kinetic energy(b) potential energy(c) restoring energy(d) mechanical energy
- Which of the following type of energy is used by living organisms to perform vital life processes?Kinetic energy, Chemical energy, Potential energy, Nuclear energy.
- How Bluetooth Low Energy Is Transforming IoT Asset Tracking
- State whether the following statement is true or false:Solid carbon dioxide is stored under low pressure.
- (a) What are the advantages of nuclear energy?(b) State the disadvantages of nuclear energy?