- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
- Why is a series arrangement not used for connecting domestic electrical appliances in a circuit?
- Draw a diagram to show the magnetic field lines around a bar magnet. List any two properties of magnetic field lines.
(a) Series arrangement is not used for connecting domestic electrical appliances in a circuit because of the following reasons:
1. In a series connection, if one electrical device stops working due to some defect, then all other devices also stop working as the whole circuit is broken.
2. In a series connection, there is only one switch is used for all electrical devices due to which they can not be turned on and off separately.
3. In a series connection, all the devices do not get the same voltage as the voltage gets divided in a series combination.
4. In a series connection, the equivalent resistance increases too much because of which the amount of current flowing becomes very small.
Different electrical appliances in a domestic circuit are connected in parallel due not in the series because of the following reasons:
1. In a parallel connection, if one of the appliances is switched off or gets fused, there is no effect on the other appliances and they keep on operating.
2. In a parallel connection, separate switches are used for all different electrical appliances due to which they can be turned on and off separately.
3. In a parallel connection, all the electrical appliances are operated on the same voltage i.e., the mains supply voltage.
Two properties of magnetic field lines are as follows:
1. The magnetic field lines always originate from the north pole and end at the south pole.
2. The magnetic field lines never intersect or cross each other.
- Related Articles
- Draw a diagram to show the magnetic field lines around a bar magnet.
- Draw magnetic field lines around a bar magnet.
- State any two properties of magnetic field lines.
- (a) Define magnetic field lines. Describe an activity to draw a magnetic field line outside a bar magnet from one pole to another pole.(b) Explain why a freely suspended magnet always points in the north-south direction.
- What is a solenoid? Draw the pattern of magnetic field lines of (i) a current-carrying solenoid and (ii) a bar magnet. List two distinguishing features between the two fields.
- Explain why, two magnetic field lines do not intersect each other?
- What is a magnetic field? How can the direction of magnetic field lines at a place be determined?
- State the form of magnetic field lines around a straight current-carrying conductor.
- Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding magnetic field lines?(a) The direction of magnetic field at a point is taken to be the direction in which the north pole of a magnetic compass needle points(b)Magnetic field lines are closed curves(c)If magnetic field lines are parallel and equidistant, they represent zero field strength(d)Relative strength of magnetic field is shown by the degree of closeness of the field lines
- Fill in the following blanks with suitable words:a) Magnetic field lines leaves the ________ pole of a bar magnet and enters at its ________ pole.b) The earth’s magnetic field is rather like that of a ________ magnet with its ________ pole in the northern hemisphere.
- How does a magnet create a magnetic field ?
- (a) Draw a sketch to show the magnetic lines of force due to a current-carrying straight conductor.(b) Name and state the rule to determine the direction of magnetic field around a straight current-carrying conductor.
- Magnetic Field around a Current Carrying Conductor
- What is a solenoid? Draw the pattern of magnetic field lines of a solenoid through which a steady current flows. What does the pattern of field lines inside the solenoid indicate?
- Why does a magnetic compass needle pointing North and South in the absence of a nearby magnet get deflected when a bar magnet or a current carrying loop is brought near it. Describe some salient features of magnetic lines of field concept.