- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Name the process used to separate heavier and lighter components of a mixture.
Winnowing is the method used to separate heavier and lighter components of a mixture.
Winnowing is a farming method. It is used to separate heavier and lighter components of a mixture by wind or by blowing air.
Uses: This process is used by farmers to separate lighter husk particles from heavier seeds of grain. A husk is lighter than the wheat grains, it can be blown away from the grains by a toss in the air.
Principle: A mixture containing two components is separated by a blow of air when it is allowed to fall from a height. The lighter component gets separated from the heavier component due to wind.
- Winnowing is useful in agriculture.
- We can separate grains and husk, so husk can be used as food for animals.
- This process of separating the components of a mixture does not work for heavier particles such as stones. Hence, it has a limited scope.
- Winnowing machines are more efficient than manual winnowing.
- Related Articles
- Name the process which can be used to separate a mixture of salt solution and sand.
- Name the process you would use to separate a mixture of water and alcohol.
- Name the process you would use to separate a mixture of anthracene and copper sulphate?
- Name the process you would use to separate a mixture of two miscible liquids (like acetone and water).
- Name the process you would use to separate ammonium chloride from a mixture of sodium chloride and ammonium chloride.
- Name the property of one of the constituents which can be used to separate a mixture of salt and iodine.
- How will you separate all the components of a mixture of sand and salt in water?
- A mixture of salt and water is provided to you. Name the process by which you will get both the components separately.
- Name the solvent you would use to separate a mixture of sulphur and carbon.
- Why do we need to separate different components of a mixture? Explain with examples.
- Why do we need to separate different components of a mixture? Give two examples.
- Name the process which is used in milk dairies to separate cream from milk.
- Which method can be used to separate a mixture of naphthalene and common salt?
- Name the property of any one of the components which can be used for separating the following mixture : Salt and Camphor
- How to separate a mixture of water and oil ?