- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Most of the sources of energy we use represent stored solar energy. Which of the following is not ultimately derived from the Sun’s energy?
$(a)$ geothermal energy
$(b)$ wind energy
$(c)$ nuclear energy
Correct Answer is : $(b)$ geothermal energy
Geothermal energy is the heat energy obtained from hot rocks present inside the earth due to the fission of radioactive materials in it. So, it does not come directly or indirectly from the sun's energy.
The term Geothermal is derived from the two Greek words, 'Geo' meaning "earth" and 'thermal' meaning "heat".
Production of geothermal energy$\rightarrow$
Geothermal energy is the heat produced deep in the Earth's core, which is a clean, renewable source of energy that can be harnessed for use as heat and electricity. The heat in the core is produced mainly by the radioactive decay of potassium, thorium, and uranium in Earth’s crust and mantle and also by friction generated along the margins of continental plates.
So, geothermal energy is not ultimately derived from the Sun’s energy.
While wind energy, nuclear energy, and bio-mass energy are derived from the sun's energy.
- Related Articles
- Most of the sources of energy that we use represent stored solar energy. Which of the following is not ultimately derived from the sun's energy?(a) wind energy (b) geothermal energy(c) fossil fuels(d) biomass
- Which of the following sources of energy are not derived from the sun?Biomass, Wind, Ocean thermal energy, Geothermal energy, Nuclear fuels, Hydroelectricity, Wave energy, Coal, Petroleum, Tidal energy.
- Which of the following is ultimately not derived from the sun's energy (or solar energy)?wind energynuclear energybiomass energyocean thermal energy
- Which of the following is not an example of a bio-mass energy source?$(a)$ wood$(b)$ gobar-gas$(c)$ nuclear energy$(d)$ coal
- Name one source of energy which is not derived from solar energy directly of indirectly.
- In photosynthesis process, solar energy is converted into which energy?(a) Carbohydrate energy(b) Growth energy(c) Chemical energy(d) Physical energy
- (a) What is geothermal energy?(b) What is the source of heat contained in geothermal energy?(c) Explain how, geothermal energy is used to generate electricity.(d) State two advantages of geothermal energy.(e) State two disadvantages of geothermal energy.
- Which of the following energy change involves frictional force? (a) chemical energy to heat energy(b) kinetic energy to heat energy(c) potential energy to sound energy (d) chemical energy to kinetic energy
- Which of the following type of energy is used by living organisms to perform vital life processes?Kinetic energy, Chemical energy, Potential energy, Nuclear energy.
- The energy possessed by an oscillating pendulum of a clock is: (a) kinetic energy(b) potential energy(c) restoring energy(d) mechanical energy
- Water stored in a dam possesses:(a) no energy(b) electrical energy(c) kinetic energy(d) potential energy
- (a) What are the advantages of nuclear energy?(b) State the disadvantages of nuclear energy?
- Name the devices or machines which convert:(a) Mechanical energy into electrical energy.(b) Chemical energy into electrical energy.(c) Electrical energy into heat energy.(d) Light energy into electrical energy.(e) Electrical energy into light energy.
- Mechanical energy of a body includes (a) kinetic energy only(b) potential energy only(c) kinetic energy and potential energy(d) none of these
- Solar energy can be directly converted to electrical energy by which of the following devices?(a) solar cooker (b) solar heater (c) solar cell (d) solar geyser