- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How can ethanol and ethanoic acid be differentiated on the basis of their physical and chemical properties?
The difference on the basis of physical properties between Ethanol and Ethanoic acid is given below:
|(ii) Odour||Sweet smell||Pungent vinegar-like smell|
|(iii) Melting point ||156 K ||290 K|
|(iv) Boiling point||351 K||391 K|
The difference on the basis of chemical properties between Ethanol and Ethanoic acid is given below:
|Test ||Ethanol||Ethanoic acid|
|(i) Litmus test||No change in the colour of litmus solution.||Blue litmus solution turns red.|
|(ii) Sodium hydrogen carbonate test ||C2H5OH + NaHCO3 → No reaction No brisk effervescence.||CH3COOH + NaHCO3 → CH3COONa + H2O + CO2 Brisk effervescence due to evolution of CO2.|
|(iii) Alkaline potassium permanganate ||On heating, the pink colour disappears.||Does not happen so.|
- Related Articles
- List in tabular form three physical and two chemical properties on the basis of which ethanol and ethanoic acid can be differentiated.
- Name one chemical compound which can be used to distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid.
- Name the oxidising agent used for the conversion of ethanol to ethanoic acid. Distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid on the basis of (i) litmus test, (ii) reaction with sodium carbonate.
- Differentiate between metal and non-metal on the basis of their chemical properties.
- State two physical properties on the basis of which metals can be distinguished from non-metals.
- State two physical properties on the basis of which metals can be distinguish from non-metals.
- Give 4 exceptions of metals on the basis of their physical properties like Malleability, Conductivity, Lustre, and Hardness.
- Physical and Chemical Properties of Alcohols
- Physical and Chemical Properties of Benzene
- (a) How is ethanoic acid obtained from ethanol? Write down the chemical equation of the reaction involved. (b) How would you distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid by chemical test? (c) Explain the formation of scum when hard water is treated with soap.
- What is physical and chemical properties ?
- Physical Properties of Alkanes and Their Variations
- What are the physical and chemical properties of metal?
- Write some physical and chemical properties of metal and nonmetal.
- Why is the conversion of ethanol into ethanoic acid an oxidation reaction?