- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How a piece of iron can be converted into a temporary magnet? Explain with a diagram.
Temporary magnets are those magnets that lose their magnetism after a short period of time.
Example- Paperclips, iron nails and other similar items.
Pieces of iron or other materials can be made magnets by rubbing them with natural magnets or passing direct current through a wire wound around them which is commonly known as an electromagnet.
To magnetize a piece of iron material, it is repeatedly rubbed or stroked in the same direction from one end of a permanent magnet (bar magnet) and this process is known as the Single touch method or Stroking method.
The procedures for converting a piece of iron into a temporary magnet are as follow:
- Keep the piece of iron on a solid surface (like a wooden table) which is to be made a magnet.
- Take a bar magnet and hold one end of the bar magnet in your hand and keep the other end of bar magnet at one end of the iron piece.
- Gently rub it along the length of the piece of iron.
- Keep repeating this activity for about 30 - 40 times in the same direction.
- In order to test whether the iron strip has become a magnet or not, bring some iron nails near it and observe.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started