- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain Rutherford’s α-particle scattering experiment and give its observation and conclusion drawn.
Rutherford’s α-particle scattering experiment:
Fast-moving α-particles were made to fall on a thin gold foil. Particles have + 2 charge and 4u mass, and a considerable amount of energy.
(1) Most of the α-particles passed straight through the foil.
(2) Some of the α-particles were deflected by small angles by the foil.
(3) One out of every 12000 particles rebounded.
Conclusion from observation:
(1) Most of the space inside the foil is empty.
(2) Positive charge of the atom occupies very little space.
(3) Mass of the atom is concentrated in the centre with all positive charges concentrated in small volumes within the atom.
- Related Articles
- Rutherford’s ‘alpha (α) particles scattering experiment’ resulted in to discovery ofElectronProtonNucleus in the atomAtomic mass
- Give an activity to understand the implications of Rutherford’s scattering experiment by a gold foil.
- Rutherford’s alpha-particle scattering experiment was responsible for the discovery of(a) Atomic nucleus(b) Electron(c) Proton (d)Neutron
- Why did Rutherford select a gold foil in his α–ray scattering experiment?
- What do you think would be the observation if the a-particle scattering experiment is carried out using a foil of a metal other than gold?
- Which part of an atom was discovered by Rutherford's alpha-particle scattering experiment?
- Fill in the blanks in the following statements(a) Rutherford’s α-particle scattering experiment led to the discovery of the ———(b) Isotopes have same ———but different———.(c) Neon and chlorine have atomic numbers 10 and 17 respectively. Their valencies will be———and———respectively.(d) The electronic configuration of silicon is ———and that of sulphur is ———
- Rutherford’s α–particle scattering experiment showed thatelectrons have a negative chargethe mass and positive charge of the atom is concentrated in the nucleusneutron exists in the nucleusmost of the space in the atom is empty Which of the above statements are correct?(a) (i) and (iii)(b) (ii) and (iv)(c) (i) and (iv)(d) (iii) and (iv)
- What important information is furnished about the nucleus of an atom by the alpha particle scattering experiment of Rutherford?
- Rutherford's alpha particle scattering experiment led to the discovery of :(a) Nucleus (b) Electrons (c) Protons (d) Neutrons
- Explain columnar petty cash books and give its format
- Explain the sales day book and give its format
- Explain the return inward book and give its format
- If $α$ and $β$ are the zeros of a quadratic polynomial such that $α\ +\ β\ =\ 24$ and $α\ -\ β\ =\ 8$, find a quadratic polynomial having $α$ and $β$ as its zeros.
- Write the difference between 'Random experiment' And 'Deterministic experiment'. Give examples.