- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Differentiate between metal and non-metal on the basis of their chemical properties.
The difference between metals and non-metals are:
|(i) Metals form basic oxides or amphoteric oxides.||(i) Non-metals form acidic or neutral oxides.|
|(ii) Metals replace hydrogen from acids and form salts||(ii) Non-metals do not replace hydrogen from acids.|
|(iii) With chlorine, metals form chlorides which are electrovalent.||(iii) With chlorine, non-metals form chlorides which are covalent.|
|(iv) With hydrogen few metals form hydrides which are electrovalent.||(iv) With hydrogen, non-metals form many stable hydrides which are covalent.|
[Extra information: Some properties of metals are given below:
- The density of metals is usually high.
- Metals are malleable and ductile.
- Metals form an alloy with other metals or non-metals.
- Some metals react with air and corrode. For e.g. Iron.
- Metals are good conductors of heat and electricity. Lead is an exception.
- Generally, metals are in a solid-state at room temperature. Except for Mercury. Mercury is in a liquid state.]
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started