- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Complete the following word puzzle with the help of clues given below.
1. Providing water to the crops.
2. Keeping crop grains for a long time under proper conditions.
5. Certain plants of the same kind grown on a large scale.
3. A machine used for cutting the matured crop.
4. A rabi crop that is also one of the pulses.
6. A process of separating the grain from chaff.
1. Providing water to the crops: Irrigation
2. Keeping crop grains for a long time under proper conditions: Storage
5. Certain plants of the same kind grown on a large scale: Crop
3. A machine used for cutting the matured crop: Harvester
4. A rabi crop that is also one of the pulse: Gram
6. A process of separating the grain from chaff: Winnowing
Crops can be improved by adopting proper farm practices, adequate irrigation and drainage systems, and the usage of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers in appropriate quantities.
In modern techniques, crops are improved through genetic techniques such as gene transfer to form genetically modified crops (GM Crops) or conventional methods like hybridization. These genetic methods are also used to produce high-yielding varieties (HYV) seeds, which upon cultivation provide a high yield.
Winnowing is a farming method, used to separate heavier and lighter components of a mixture by wind or by blowing air. This process is used by farmers to separate lighter husk particles from heavier seeds of grain. A husk is lighter than the wheat grains, it can be blown away from the grains by a toss in the air.
Irrigation is the process of supplying a required amount of water to plants at needed intervals. It helps to grow agricultural crops, maintains landscapes, and also provides the barren land with a new vegetative cover during periods of average or less rainfall.
There are different types of irrigation systems, such as:
1. Sprinkler irrigation
2. River-lift irrigation
3. Canal irrigation
4. Drip irrigation
5. Tube-well irrigation, and many more.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started