- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
A magnet attracts iron but it does not attract plastic. Why?
Materials that are not attracted to a magnet like plastic have a permeability of, essentially, 1. There is no magnetism induced in them by an external magnetic field, and therefore, they are not attracted by a magnet.
Iron has a high permeability (μ), and thereby, magnetic fields can be induced in them when exposed to an external magnetic field.
The degree of the induced magnetism (by which Magnet attracts other materials) is related to a material’s magnetic permeability, and it is expressed as a unit-less value designated by, mu (μ).
The higher the material’s permeability, the greater the magnetic induction and the resulting force of attraction.
- Related Articles
- How a magnet attracts iron ? And it doesn't attract insulator. Why?
- A bucket made of plastic does not rust like a bucket made up of iron. Why?
- A magnet attracts:(a) plastics (b) any metal (c) aluminum (d) iron and steel
- The pen is not attracted to the magnet but the nib of the pen can attract because it is a piece of metal. Is it correct?
- When an electric current is passed through any wire, a magnetic field is produced around it. Then why an electric iron connecting cable does not attract nearby iron objects when electric current is switched on through it?
- If the moon attracts the earth, why does the earth not move towards the moon?
- Why do metals shine but non-metal does not shine?
- An iron nail sinks in water but it floats in mercury. Why ?
- Why is it not advisable to burn plastic and synthetic fabrics?
- If magnets attract iron, then why don't we get attracted toward it when we eat green leafy vegetables that contain iron?
- Why does a piece of iron rusts?
- Why an ordinary glass bottle cracks when boiling water is poured into it, but a borosil glass bottle does not?
- If the same pole of a magnet is facing each other then it will attract or repel?
- Why does a ship made of iron and steel float in water whereas a small piece of iron sinks in it ?
- Why iron pillar is not rusted?