- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Men’s Ready-to-Wear Garment
The production of garments has been one of the oldest professions. Throughout the ages, since the time before history, the choice of clothing among men and women has evolved and changed many times, and so has the process of manufacturing them. The pieces of clothing a person wears represent their culture, taste in fashion, and society. Fashion is not merely the garments that people wear.
Meaning of Ready-to-Wear Garments
Garments are finished pieces of clothing produced by talented tailors and apparel manufacturers. “Ready-to-wear” clothing is finished clothing that is available on the market and can be worn right away. The term “Ready to Wear” is derived from the French word “Prêt a Porter,” which means “off-the-rack” or “off-the-peg. Today’s fashion industry is diverse. Fashion designers produce impressive garments that define their creative style and reflect the character of the person wearing them. The clothing also represents a country’s or region’s culture and ethnicity.
In ancient times, garment manufacturing was entirely a handcraft-based profession. With the invention of the weaving machine and the sewing machine during the Industrial Revolution, the manufacturing process of garments was revolutionised. Now, huge quantities of clothing can be produced within a short span of time. Shortly after, the concept of ready-to-wear garments was developed.
It is the spirit, the energy, and the creative talent that are put together to produce the finished piece of apparel. The prevailing customs, political and economic situation, and social diversity are also reflected in the fashion choices made by the people of a country. Fashion is a dynamic force that is ever-changing and influential. It influences the lifestyles of people—the way they eat, talk, celebrate, wear clothes, and live. Garments are only a small part of the concept of fashion.
Culture of Ready-to-Wear
Custom-made clothing has not lost its value but is still considered the job of a specialist. These are expensive pieces of clothing that the average person only buys for special occasions. Fashion designers demonstrate their capability of creation through haute couture shows. Haute Couture is the section of the fashion industry that is engaged in the production of high-quality, customised fine clothing. Paris Haute Couture is the most prestigious in the global market today.
Garments of various sizes, stitched and ready to wear off the rack, were only a side hustle attempted by fashion designers. But it has rapidly grown into an industry in itself. Since its first launch, ready-to-wear fashion has been available at a considerably lower price than haute couture. Therefore, it attracted a broader clientele. Designers like Sonia Rykiel contributed to the development of the ready-to-wear garment industry. Today, prominent names in the high fashion ready-to-wear industry are Gucci, Calvin Klein, Paul Smith, and Kenzo.
Ready-to-Wear Garment Industry
A similar industry developed in poor countries with the development of high-fashion ready-to-wear garments. In this industry, primarily knock-offs of high-fashion clothing are mass-produced and sold at extremely low prices. The garments produced in this industry are targeted at clients who are not well off. Europe and the US outsource the manufacturing of mass-produced garments to China, India, Bangladesh, and Thailand, where the labour force and infrastructure are cheap.
Men’s Ready-to-Wear Before World War II
a man’s wardrobe usually did not consist of much to show off. Men were entitled to wear clothes that were comfortable and functional. But gradually, this thought process has been challenged and influenced by fashion designers, music bands, actors, and entertainers. The corporate sector has also developed a dress code, which has triggered the need for formal fashion. Today, men too dress fashionably according to the occasion, time, and place, and a man’s wardrobe has many more options nowadays than before. The ready-made garment industry provides ever-changing designer men’s wear for every occasion with a plethora of options to choose from.
Types of Men’s ready to Wear
The ready-to-wear garment industry provides varied options in men’s clothing in the following categories −
- Casual wear − Casual wear is appropriate for leisure and informal occasions. Examples include T-shirts, jeans, cargo pants, shorts, etc.
- Sports Wear − This clothing is inspired simply by sports entertainment, which includes jogging pants, basketball T-shirts, etc.
- Active Sportswear − Garments that are specifically meant to be worn during certain sports activities are categorised in this section. For example, swimming costumes, hiking jackets, ski pants, etc.
- Formal Wear − Clothing which is worn on formal occasions or in offices constitutes this section. They can be subcategorized as western or ethnic wear. Western wear includes trousers, shirts, jackets, and suits. Ethnic clothes are sherwanis, churidars, kurtas, dhotis, and pyjamas. However, fusion garments like Jodhpuri pants and Nehru jackets have diminished the distinction to a great extent.
The rapid increase in the population around the world, globalization, and the advent of the Internet have created the need for ready-made garments. The same has resulted in an increase in demand for men’s fashion wear. In order to meet these demands, the various sections of the fashion industry have successfully developed various products for men. Today’s men buy more clothes and try different styles for different occasions. All of these have changed the garment manufacturing industry drastically.
- Why You Should Wear Purple on International Women's Day
- Why are buttons on men’s and women’s clothes placed on different sides?
- Top 10 Sedans Men Love to Drive!
- jQuery ready() with Examples
- Getting Ready for Analytics
- Why are women smarter than men?
- What is the best fragrance for men?
- Are You Ready For Cloud Computing?
- Why do doctors wear White & Lawyers black?
- Why do people mostly wear black while mourning?
- Need Selenium to wait until the document is ready
- Number of Ways to Wear Different Hats to Each Other in C++
- What is $(document).ready() method in jQuery?
- What are jQuery events .load(), .ready(), .unload()?
- What are some creams men can use for beard?