Mastering DAX and Data Models in Power BI Desktop
Build your foundation for Data Modelling, Relationhsip, DAX language in Power BI
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
If you are planning to get started with Power BI and your data analytics journey it is very important that you follow a proper path to learn various concepts about data analytics.
Gathering the data - Perform your Extract > Transform > Load (ETL) activities.
Model your data - Normalizing your data is one of the critical step
Relationship between data tables - To understand the flow of information
DAX - Perform your data crunching and analysis
Visual analytics - Not just numbers and but pictorial presentation
I have covered ETL activities in my course titled - Power Bi Query Editor - Master Data Transformation. It have more than 6+ hours video content explaining all the concepts related to Power Query and M Language with the help of real world datasets.
Once you have completed above course you must move on to next step for Data Modelling, Relationships and DAX.
Currently various courses at TutorialsPoint will explain only DAX and will cover data modelling & relationship only briefly. However, structuring data properly is essential to achieving good performance in your reports and to maintaining a low level of complexity in your DAX formulas.
The easiest way to create a data model in Power BI is to gather the data “as is” from a data source, define relationships, and then start designing reports. But this approach raises several issues when you have too many tables, or different levels of granularity. This course will explain in detail how you can create appropriate data models by applying fundamental rules of normalizing your data.
For person starting with DAX it is little challenging as he may need to visualize in my mind what result he would get from the DAX formula he is writing. This can be confusing, so I have created this course which you will give simple and easy to understand explanation about using various DAX formulas. This course will guide you to deep understanding about various concepts of DAX like filter context, row context, evaluation context, Table or scalar DAX functions, Iterator DAX functions, Calculated Measures, Calculated Columns, etc.
Who this course is for:
- Students who have completed my Power BI Query editor course and want to learn now more about DAX
- If you want to prepare for Power BI certifications from Microsoft
- For all those who want to automate management reporting and wow their stakeholders.
- Perform your data analysis quickly using DAX
What will you learn in this course:
- Building foundation about Data Models, Relationships and DAX formulas in Power BI
- Various foundation concepts of Data Models and relationship not covered in any other course
- Normalized and de-normalized datasets – advantages and difference
- Three fundamentals rules for normalizing your dataset for better performance
- Star Schema, Snowflakes Schema, Top Down schema for Data Models
- One to Many, Many to One, Many to One relationship
- Simple and easy to understand approach explaining complex concepts of Power BI DAX
- DAX Studio, DAX Variables, Time intelligence and other complex DAX formulas
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Person should know Power BI Query editor – how to import and transform data inside Power BI
- This course is next step after completing my Power BI Query Editor course
- Person is keen to learn more concepts about Power BI DAX
- Ensure that you have latest version of Power BI Desktop installed
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Introduction to Data Modelling
- Data Modelling mindset - think in multiple tables 05:16 05:16
- File Resources
- Keys in Tables - Primary Key and Foreign Key 05:03 05:03
- Introduction to Normalisation of Datasets 05:03 05:03
- Rule # 1 : First Normal Form - single value and not repeating groups 05:16 05:16
- Rule # 2 : Second Normal Form - composite primary key 06:19 06:19
- Rule # 3 : Third Normal Form - dependency between non-key fields 05:37 05:37
- How to normalize the a dummy dataset by applying normalization rules 13:13 13:13
- Recap - Three Normalisation rules 03:01 03:01
- Table types - Data / Fact table and Lookup / Dimension Table 05:58 05:58
- Relationship Cardinality an introduction 01:50 01:50
- One to Many relationship 02:48 02:48
- Many to Many relationship 02:22 02:22
- One to One relationship 01:45 01:45
- Relationship cardinality recap 01:46 01:46
- Relationship in Power BI - Active / In-active, one / both way filter propagation 14:50 14:50
- Diagram view : Top Down, Star Schema, Snow Flakes - managing table presentation 05:49 05:49
Preparing your data for Dashboards
DAX fundamentals - Power of Power BI desktop
Basic DAX function examples
CALCULATE - boss of DAX functions and functions supporting it.
Abhay GadiyaBest seller instructor for Power BI and Power Excel
I am Chartered Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner and have completed Diploma in Information System Audit (Indian equivalent exam for CISA).
I have circa 16+ years of experience into Data Analytics, Internal Audits, External (Statutory) Audits, SOX Compliance, Risk Assessment and Regulatory Compliance. I have audited various entities under BFSI, Automotive Manufacturing, ITES, Infrastructure and Pharmaceuticals sectors. I have worked circa 9 years with Big4 consultancy firms – Deloitte, Price Waterhouse and other with Bank of New York Mellon.
I have conducted various workshops at Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. Approximately 600+ people have attended these workshops and have given extremely positive feedback.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
It was nice course for beginner and can take big leap towards the DAX programming.
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now