The Unix Command-Line for Beginners
Learn how to use the command-line interface on Linux and MacOS from scratch.
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
Duration -1.5 hours
Hello everyone, my name is Razvan, I'm a senior back-end engineer and online instructor.
In this course I will teach you how to become a master of the Unix shell.
Although it’s true that the graphical user interface dramatically simplifies our personal day to day use of computers, to navigate through folders, edit files and install software… the shell, beyond providing an outstanding level of control over the operating system, still proves to this day to be the best and sometimes only option to perform most of our tasks as developers.
Indeed, using a shell is, often the only way to run certain programs or to connect to distant computers, as tools like Git or Linux servers don't provide a graphical interface.
This course is going to cover a lot of topics and concepts but no worries, I don't assume you already know what a terminal, a command-line or text editor is — so we’ll go through all of it, step by step.
What will you learn in this course:
You will learn:
- General concepts about Unix and computer science
- How to read and build commands
- How to navigate the Unix filesystem
- How to use expansions
- How to manipulate files and directories
- How to redirect a command's input and output
- How to use in-terminal text editors
- How to use package managers
- How to create users, groups and control access rights
- How to control several processes
What are the prerequisites for this course?
You will need:
- A computer running on Linux or MacOS
- The Bash shell
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Course overview 01:39 01:39
- Terminals and shells 02:19 02:19
Working with commands
Quoting, escaping, and expanding
Navigating the filesystem
Manipulating files and directories
In-terminal text editors
Utilities and package managers
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now