Mapping Data with Python - A Beginners Course
A visual first study for Python and Data Science
Updated on Dec, 2023
Language - English
Duration -1.5 hours
Maps are a great visual tool. We all collect spatial data - holiday destinations, favourite places, areas of interest. But paper maps are limited, and the tools to plot digital maps on a computer can seem daunting.
Do you have data that you would like to show on a map but you don't know how to ? Or would you like to try a first coding project and want something simple and very visual as a starting project?
Maps are a great first project for coding or working with data. You can start to produce maps with only 7 lines of code. This beginners' course requires no previous experience and leads you line by line through the code required. It uses the popular Python language which is the most widely used language for Data Science.
In the course lessons, you will find how to:
Access free mapping packages to allow you to draw great maps with almost no code
Load your data from a spreadsheet to a map
Apply map projections to shape the map to a screen
Add a background of streets or landscape to the region
Customise the map into what you want it to be, changing appearance, colouring and layout. You can make a detailed streetmap or an impressionistic outline map as you require
What will you learn in this course:
- How to get started with Python and Jupyter Notebooks for data science
- How to plot data on to a map using Python code
- How to use Python's "geopandas" package to manage map data
- How to use Python's "contextily" package to manipulate basemaps
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- No Programming experience required.
- This course is designed so people who have never written any code before can put their data on a map.
- You can do this with only 7 lines of code and this course leads you line by line through the code required.
- You will need a Windows PC with internet access.
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Introduction - maps and data visualisation
- Map Mashup! 02:32 02:32
- Maps as a data science visualisation 02:31 02:31
- Using the power of Python packages 08:49 08:49
Writing your first code
Creating a map to visualise data
Customising the map
Jay AlpheyCoach and technologist
Jay is a leader, coach and mentor focussing on how to get teams and individuals to achieve their potential. Jay has built, led and worked with teams across the globe. Exploiting his leadership experience in technology industries, Jay is especially interested in how online resources and new technologies can help manage data in innovative ways.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now